The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scripts to open project folders and notes files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have you seen the applescript installation FAQ ?

It works best if you follow the directions under "2. Place the script in the appropriate folder" in the FAQ very carefully: you launch the application for which you wish to install a script, and then without switching to a different application choose Open Scripts Folder from the menu bar Script menu. If you switch to a different application in the process, you won't end up opening/creating the right folder.

I keep being asked if I want to create a folder at the location, despite the folder already existing, and after it opens the main project folder (in my case "Experiments"). It doesn't seem to mater what the project title is, it can't find it. Even when I copied the folder name from the finder and pasted it into omnifocus.

My main experiments folder is located on my iDisk (I know, it's days there are numbered). I downloaded the script from the University website. Here are the modifications I've made to the script:

Code:
set projectsFolderName to "Experiments" -- name for main projects folder
set projectsPath to "/Volumes/crmarvin42/Documents/UMN/" -- path to main projects folder
I've tried multiple variations on the path such as leaving off the last "/", having it end with Experiments, replacing "/" with ":", etc. with no luck. I've tinkered with applescripts before, but am growing frustrated with this one.

I've been using the project folder script for the last few weeks after having accidentally run across it. It has really helped my workflow a lot.

I'm wondering, though, if anybody has come up with a script to search the project folder directory tree for folders that no longer have matching projects in OF. Let's say I have a project and associated project folder. Then I complete the project and the project disappears into the OF archive. In most cases I'd want to delete the project material, too, but I don't know if I will always remember, when I check off the project as completed, that this particular project has a folder that I need to delete.

Ideas? How do others deal with this?

OK, either nobody is doing this already or nobody has read my post.

My Applescript skills are non-existent. What I'm looking for is a script that would do something like this:

Code:
PROJECTS = projects folder used in script
for (x in subfolders of PROJECTS)
   if ( x is not an OF project or project folder )
	then print "You may want to delete x"
Can some kind person maybe whip up a quick script that will do this?

Last edited by mpw; 2012-02-20 at 07:26 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post
OK, either nobody is doing this already or nobody has read my post.

My Applescript skills are non-existent. What I'm looking for is a script that would do something like this:

Code:
PROJECTS = projects folder used in script
for (x in subfolders of PROJECTS)
   if ( x is not an OF project or project folder )
	then print "You may want to delete x"
Can some kind person maybe whip up a quick script that will do this?
I agree with mpw. This functionality would be great. Is anyone doing this already?

Since I never got a response I just looked through the project material folders I had and discovered that it's really all not that difficult to do the whole thing manually. I set up a monthly reminder to go through and delete anything that I know I'm done with.

I don't have an awful lot of OF projects with project folders like this so it works fine for me. It might not be that easy for someone with a lot more project material.

Hi, I'm curious how to modify the Project Notes script so that I can create a .txt document instead of an .oo3 document? Any chance you know how?