The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's the best replacement for calendar syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post

I still don't understand why sharing Tasks is such a burden to accomplish in OmniFocus?????
Because that's not what it's designed to do? It's really not a task sharing/task delegation application. That's what YOU WANT it to be, but it wasn't one of the top 100 features I'm sure in the design of 1.x. It probably wasn't even considered. You've just managed to cobble together something that works, but it's complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Because that's not what it's designed to do? It's really not a task sharing/task delegation application. That's what YOU WANT it to be, but it wasn't one of the top 100 features I'm sure in the design of 1.x. It probably wasn't even considered. You've just managed to cobble together something that works, but it's complicated.
I'm not talking about the past, I am talking about the Present and Future (and where OF should go). This thread is about how we use iCal, or want to use it. I know I am a broken record on this subject, but as GTD gets more Main Stream, this feature of collaboration and sharing of Tasks is central to a Knowledge Workers workflow (heck, just sharing a simple repeatable Grocery list with the wife eases friction in life).

. Emailing Tasks is in the iPad (but one @ a time) - weird oversight IMHO
. No Emailing on Desktop or iPhone
. No iCal syncing of any sort anymore (just this weird local syncing to iCal)

I had once cobbled something usable together...but I can no longer sync Tasks to iCal. :^( My collaborative tasks are essentially in a silo now and live on as .PDF docs I send out to my team - so 20th Century ya know :)

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-12-07 at 09:34 PM..

The forecast feature on the iPad is great and I would love to see it on the desktop version. With that feature on the iPad I've stopped using the iCal sync to see how many tasks I had on certain days.

The only thing I can imagine that would be nice is to see on my calendar the number of tasks I have planned on days. I'm not sure something like that is possible with iCal (perhaps with Busysync, which I use, but iCal is more accepted. If it works on iCal, it works on Busysync).

--edit
Something else that would be great is if you can sync start dates to your calendar. That way you can see from a birds eyeview how your upcoming days/week can look like.

Last edited by AE Thanh; 2010-12-09 at 03:08 PM..

New here, still a way from ninja (+ loose with GTD ) but few observations/ comments.

Current iCal sync has ltd value for me as it lists *all* tasks and not as events.

Firstly here's my ideal scenario. (ignoring where i do it for now)

- Ability to show due actions on daily, week (poss mth) view calendar as events.

- *key* Ability to drag & drop actions within cal to amend time/dates/durations + add time/due date to non scheduled actions by dragging it onto cal view from a list (right pane) - non scheduled list also filterable by keyword.

- Ability to view other cals (ical/gcal etc) + toggle those cals to quickly see bottlenecks (also useful for delegation when at certain consult jobs)

Why:

Speed, often little time to plan day(s) ahead, work in manic places (freelance - ad agencies, media etc)- sometimes teams/sometime not, need to juggle/manage expectations constantly. Joint actions/events calender only way to do it.

How:

Best if could do drag drop/scheduling in OF but still big value to sync to calendar. However needs event changes in one to reflects in other (true sync)

Can kinda do above with iCal/OF currently but the *all* task list in ical is overwhelming + have to copy task to an ical event. I want to *sync* iCal/OF inc time/dates/durations changes.

I think following option in OF ICal sync prefs (+ full auto sync engine) would go way to achieving above. Outside full calendar in OF.

- Sync actions in 'due next xx days OR All' as 'event OR tasks' on ical/gcal.

That'll do for now, past my bedtime.

Olly

ps. Some/All above would be great but already a fantastic piece of software doing wonders for my stress levels. Thanks

I agree . . . a very big part of my poject planning is to see when I might be able to do what. The forecast option on the iPad is great, but I still cannot see my iCal events. It would be good to allocate my actions to days without having to switch back and forth to my iCal to see whether I might actually have back to back meetings on that day or am out travelling.
Visual integration of iCal events with OF Project planning would really up the potential of making OF my central point for project planning AND time allocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Thanh View Post
The forecast feature on the iPad is great and I would love to see it on the desktop version. With that feature on the iPad I've stopped using the iCal sync to see how many tasks I had on certain days.

The only thing I can imagine that would be nice is to see on my calendar the number of tasks I have planned on days. I'm not sure something like that is possible with iCal (perhaps with Busysync, which I use, but iCal is more accepted. If it works on iCal, it works on Busysync).

--edit
Something else that would be great is if you can sync start dates to your calendar. That way you can see from a birds eyeview how your upcoming days/week can look like.

Is there any resolution/action on this yet? It has been some time that this is being considered and I really miss being able to sync to mobileme calendars.

me too, keep waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeworkman View Post
I am using BusyCal at the moment as a replacement for iCal. I would LOVE to see better integration with BusyCal if you could work with them...

http://www.busymac.com/
Hear, hear! BusyCal is a fantastically useful program...

+1 in favor of this! I mean Oilbert's post! post 55

I primarily used the iCal sync feature to share my tasks and deadlines with someone else.

For my purposes, it is a one way street. I want to show someone else a current list of my tasks. But don't need them to be able to edit or add to that list.