The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

1.7 Perspective Changes (and the thinking behind them) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by uof View Post
I'm not using the SP but have been reading the threads - I'd definitely find it distracting to have blue text in an unmodified Perspective.
Looks like it didn't make the release notes yet, but we fixed this yesterday: View bar settings are no longer colored blue when you're in a perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Looks like it didn't make the release notes yet, but we fixed this yesterday: View bar settings are no longer colored blue when you're in a perspective.
Perfect! Thanks Ken-looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
...I think the little "X" on the right end of the view bar is a better approach. It works just like the same control that appears in search fields.

-Dennis
Thinking a bit more about this, it may be that the Filter settings and the X (as in search fields) is not quite the same thing. The file metaphor works for me as a way of marking the Perspective dirty/unsaved. If what is dirty about a perspective is something in the Filter settings then blue lettering appears (this is a change from the early sp's) and an X is a means to manage those changes but if it were something else like a switch from Planning to Context mode or a pane size change then there needs to me some other way to know the Perspective is now changed from what was saved. Perhaps a more obvious change to the title bar other than the usual dirty file tricks would work for both of us?

edit: I see now that the title bar does change from {perspective name}:{selection} to just <empty>:{selection} when a Filter is changed (and the toolbar highlight is dropped if that Perspective was an icon there) and the menu now changes from Take Snapshot of {perspective} to the grayed-out/unavailable Take Snapshot of Current Perspective. The option to Save Window As > is still there. This seems like a transitional state in the beta builds. Perhaps Take Snapshot of Current Perspective will become active in a future build and automatically create a new Perspective or bring the Perspective pane forward to save the snapshot to a pre-existing Perspective or just disappear entirely. Either way, I do like this better than the recent builds (but not as much as using the file metaphor).

Last edited by pjb; 2009-08-20 at 08:47 AM..

Thanks for the reply Ken. I'm looking forward to the final 1.7 release. Some nice changes there.

What about sorting... you can't do reverse sorting... when you sort it's only applied to groups and not actions within those groups... it should be both...

also filtering... so you could do multiple contexts or multiple projects... the entire filtering / sorting system should be more like a db query rather then what we currently have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor235 View Post
when you sort it's only applied to groups and not actions within those groups... it should be both...
Huh? If you group by X and sort by Y in context mode, each group has the contained actions sorted by Y. If you have an example showing otherwise, how about posting it?

Quote:
What about sorting... you can't do reverse sorting... when you sort it's only applied to groups and not actions within those groups... it should be both...
I agree it'd be nice to be able to reverse the sort order, perhaps by clicking on the column heading to toggle ascending/descending.

However, I disagree that view bar sorting should be applied to actions inside projects/SALs when in planning mode. OmniFocus considers the order of actions inside projects/SALs as inviolable because it assumes you have organized them in the order they are to be performed, indicating priority and dependence. Sorting actions with the view bar in planning mode breaks that very important functionality.

To destructively sort actions in planning mode, you can either move them manually or use the commands in the Edit -> Sort menu (which operates on the current selection).

Or, switch to context mode where the view bar does operate on actions, since projects/SALs/action groups are not displayed.

Quote:
also filtering... so you could do multiple contexts or multiple projects... the entire filtering / sorting system should be more like a db query rather then what we currently have...
It sounds like you're talking about smart folders. Last I heard, that feature requires some serious restructuring and is currently planned for the v2.0 release.

-Dennis

What is this:

The new version 1.7 Perspectives displays checkbox choices for "restore" as follows:
focus
layout
expansion
selection

Why? What? When?

Huh?

Mindreaders? No documentation.

Predictable you say? So why did all my Perspectives icons appear when the new install of OF first launched and, after quitting, they are gone?

Whadappend?

Bummer about the documentation, but (as noted in the release docs) the early Snow Leopard ship date prompted Omni to ship a bit early.

The restore checkboxes control which features of a perspective are applied when the perspective is open within an existing window. If you don't check anything, then just the View Bar settings are applied. Checking the others causes the perspective to apply projects focused, window layout (toolbar, sidebar, columns), expansion state of groups and items, and current selection. I think the default is to check everything, but I've been running 1.7 sneaky peeks since day 1 and don't recall how these settings evolved.

(And no mind reading involved. Just release note reading and a bit of the scientific method.)

Curt