The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add a line break in text Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

Using the OmniGraffle Pro 4 trial on Tiger/PPC here.

How can one add a line break in a text block? I tried all the Cmd, Ctrl and Alt combinations without luck.

Thanks for your help.

Shift+Return only ads a new paragraph, not a line break.

In Diagram View, it's simply Return, in the Outline View it's Option-Return.

Hmm... Joel, I think you're talking about OmniOutliner.

There must be a way to do it in OmniGraffle too.

No, Joel means OmniGraffle Pro.
I've just tried it and return is adding a line break for me now (though, when I first replied, I'm fairly sure it didn't!). However, if you are using the Outline feature of OmniGraffle Pro (show the drawer and click the Outline tab) you need to use option-return to enter a line break when inputting text in the drawer.

I just tried it too, and it adds a new paragraph, not a line break.

Doh, my bad. I don't think you can add just a line break. I've had a play in TextEdit and, without selecting an option from an Insert menu, I can't do it there either. I assume that TextEdit and OmniGraffle share the same text entry routine so it appears that OmniGraffle is lacking that option.

Note, if you use TextEdit to introduce a line break, it is preserved in OmniGraffle when you copy paste the text from TE to OmniGraffle so it does support using them, just not entering them.

I'll cast my vote to bind Shift-Return to adding a line break instead of a new paragraph (as it does now). I just needed it myself and sorely miss that function.

Btw., does anyone know what the Unicode codepoint for that "character" is? One could then add it to the favorites in the Unicode character palette for easy insertion. I know there is such a character, I just can't find it anymore :(

-Christian