The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10.4 & 10.5 discussion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Personally, I would wait until Snow Leopard. 10.5 has some great features but it is also Apple's worst release of OS X since 10.0 in terms of bugs, lack of polish and general annoyances. I'm not unhappy to be running it in comparison to 10.4, but I'm not exactly ecstatic about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Personally, I would wait until Snow Leopard. 10.5 has some great features but it is also Apple's worst release of OS X since 10.0 in terms of bugs, lack of polish and general annoyances.
Waiting for 10.6 might not be a bad idea (looks like some nice improvements are coming), but I respectfully disagree with JKT's assessment of 10.5 Leopard.

There may still be some minor issues in Leopard, but for the most part I think it's a huge improvement over Tiger. I personally feel it's far more polished and, for the the most part, a sturdy release. I've never had the impression it has any more issues than any other release of OS X. Overall, I've been quite happy with Leopard and would never go back to Tiger. ;-)

-Dennis

PS - Of course, now is the time to get a good deal on Leopard if you're inclined to upgrade.

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-04-29 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Added link to Mac Box Set

Minor issues they might be, but when there are lots and lots of them and you hit them every single day, then they become major ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Minor issues they might be, but when there are lots and lots of them and you hit them every single day, then they become major ones.
Again, that has not been my experience at all. As I recall, I had a lot more niggling issues in Tiger than in Leopard, but it's been over a year since I used the older version of the OS.

I'm curious what problems you're seeing in Leopard, but this is probably not the right place for that discussion.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm curious what problems you're seeing in Leopard, but this is probably not the right place for that discussion.
Hey, hey, not so quick, I want to hear what I'm in for :-)

On a personal level, I disagree with several of the UI choices that Apple made in 10.5. (The new dock appearance would be one example; some things in iCal now require more clicks than they used to.)

That said, time machine was a compelling enough feature to get me to upgrade, and it's already saved my data more than once. On that basis, it's great.