The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus and Omnioutliner integration? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to both tools so maybe it is easy?

I want to create my products (project deliverables) hierarchy in Omnioutliner, and then import the structure into Omnifoucs. The various levels in Omnioutliner then becomes projects, folders, taks, subtasks etc.

I think it is a great idea ;) but can it be done?

Jorgen

It can be done, but you might find it just as easy to create it directly in OmniFocus, which does have most of the same outlining tools as OmniOutliner.

Make your outline in OmniOutliner. Select the rows you want to copy, do Edit->Copy, switch to OmniFocus, click on the row handle of the row where you want the new material to go, and do Edit->Paste. You'll get a popup window where you tell OmniFocus which columns in the copied data go where in OmniFocus. Set those values and click OK. Unfortunately, not all fields transfer usefully. Durations, in particular, will be off by a factor of 60, so something you put as 2 hours in OmniOutliner will be 2 minutes in OmniFocus.

Everything will come in at the level where you pasted it (while still maintaining the hierarchical structure), but you can indent or outdent as needed. Folders you need to create by hand.

Personally, I only do this when there is a compelling reason to have it as an OmniOutliner document first, and that is a sign of headaches ahead, because if you change the OmniOutliner document, you need to either make corresponding changes in OmniFocus or redo the whole process.

many thanks - I understand the issue of updating the content after having inserted the first version. I plan to use it only after creating the very first product package.

However I do not seem to be able to get the paste to work properly. Whenever I paste the rows I only get one line, no pop-up, and the content matches the first line combined with a number of [] which believe corresponds to the individual levels.

Jorgen

That sounds like the results you get if you paste into the name field of an action. If you hit the Escape key once, you'll enter row-selection mode. In row selection mode, no text cursor will be visible. (See attached screenshot)

Pasting at that point will give you the results whpalmer4 described. Does that help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SelectedRow.png
Views:	908
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	2329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
click on the row handle of the row where you want the new material to go
[Emphasis added] In retrospect, I should have described just what a row handle is — it's the dot to the left of the row text that you use for dragging the row elsewhere, or collapsing/expanding if the row has children (in which case it is a triangle, rather than a dot).

Silver lining: now you know one way of making a multi-line row :-) (another is to use command-return at the end of the line)

I really appreciate all the help, but I am lost. I am using an iPad. Is there an escape key on an iPad - I assume you are not referring to the home key. I have never seen the image you have attached.

Brian and I fell into the same trap, sorry! Not the first time, almost certainly won't be the last one, either :-)

No, I do not believe there is any convenient way to take an OmniOutliner document on the iPad and turn it into OmniFocus projects on the iPad except by using a Mac to do what we described. You could copy and paste row by row, but that's a pretty tedious job if you've got a substantial quantity.

Use the Contact Omni option in the gear menu to make a feature request...