The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OW 5.8 SP1 won't open Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone :)

After I installed the 5.8 SP1 update, OW wouldn't open anymore. I restarted, and repaired permissions, but that didn't help. Preferential Treatment doesn't report any of my prefs as being damaged. Console has nothing to say (which is a little puzzling), and no hangs or crashes are reported against OW.

When I try to startup OW, I see the splash screen, then nothing happens. OW shows up as non-responsive, and I managed to grab a hang trace today by force-quitting it before it disappeared (as it seems to do each time).

I'm using Leopard, all updates current. I certainly haven't had this problem with OW before, and it's driving me nutty trying to get by with Camino.

Thankyou for any help you can offer with this problem. :(

OK, this is weird: I hit a link by accident, and OW opened up normally! I haven't changed anything, AFAIK. After all those non-starts, it's suddenly OK? I'm happy it's working, but I'd much rather understand what happened. I'll keep an eye out for more info. <puzzled>

When I returned to my Mac after dinner and a movie, I found I had no OmniWeb. I vaguely recall doing an auto-update earlier during a dinner break while I was on the phone with a MacBuddy. (But maybe that was an OmniSomethingElse auto-update -- they all look alike.)

Although Command-Tab showed no OmniWeb, it was in the Force Quit list -- so I did. Another launch also hung.

Thanks to Time Machine, I quickly dropped back to 104664, which I'm using to post this note.

[submitted as formal feedback]

Revision: 104805

Works fine here 10.5.4

Note I have problems on Leopard with auto-update due to the stupid Leopard "are you sure you want to launch" dialog. Looks like a hang but its not.

I now download manually and the just copy over the old OW myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Revision: 104805

Works fine here 10.5.4

Note I have problems on Leopard with auto-update due to the stupid Leopard "are you sure you want to launch" dialog. Looks like a hang but its not.

I now download manually and the just copy over the old OW myself.
Although I've accepted a gazillion "are you sure" prompts without a hang, it seemed worth a try to manually download the latest sneaky peek.

The first thing I noticed is that the auto-updated application differs from manually downloaded application. Get Info shows both claim to be 104805. But ...
  • auto: Created/Modified 10:01 PM on Sep 12 (51,140,744 bytes)
  • manual: Created: --, Modified: 10:04 PM on Sep 12 (51,140,752 bytes)
And when I attempt to launch the manually downloaded OmniWeb, it bounces in my Dock for 1-2 minutes and then hangs. Yet another Force Quit.

BTW, I'm on 10.5.4 / Intel.

When an unrelated newly downloaded application hung at launch, I remembered Handyman's "problems on Leopard with auto-update due to the stupid Leopard 'are you sure you want to launch' dialog."

I decided to Restart 10.5.4.

Now both OmniWeb 104805 and the other new application launch fine after I respond to the "stupid Leopard dialog."

Never mind.

[submitted as formal feedback]