The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dates wrong after sync in iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All dates are still appearing in iCal as the day before. That is, tasks for 'today' appear as for 'yesterday'. An item with the OF date 21 November appears as 20 November.

Anyone else seeing this?

I think we've seen a number of people problems such as this, but no solution. I seemed to have this issue with some items in iCal right after I upgraded to Leopard. When it went to sync w/ .Mac, it had conflicts with some events being off by a day. I don't sync OF with iCal so I don't think this is an issue w/ Leopard iCal and syncing.

I eventually cleared all the conflicts and reset .Mac syncing and I think my dates are ok now. I couldn't find much with a google search, but did find this one showing the issue with another app. See message #14 on the following page:

http://forum.plaxo.com/showthread.php?t=4316&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastiger View Post
All dates are still appearing in iCal as the day before. That is, tasks for 'today' appear as for 'yesterday'. An item with the OF date 21 November appears as 20 November.
I haven't had a chance to test this thoroughly yet, but my speculation is that this bug only happens for time zones East of GMT, and I think it might only happen if you haven't turned on time zone support in iCal's Advanced Preferences.

I think that what's happening is that iCal usually expects the due date to be the same no matter what time zone you're in, so they set the due date's time to noon GMT (London time) so that every time zone in the world will have the same date when that time is reached, and they always display the date as it would be seen in GMT.

OmniFocus considers the time of the due date to be significant, so we assign whatever time of day you actually specified—and defaulting the beginning of the day. Since the beginning of the day in Seattle still has the same date in London, we don't see that bug here in Seattle; but the beginning of the day in Paris is still late evening of the previous day in London, so iCal ends up displaying an earlier date.

When you turn on time zone support in iCal, I think it might display the date of a task based on when that moment occurs in your current time zone rather than when it occurs in GMT. But again, I haven't actually sat down and tested this theory yet, it's just my guess based on some of the bug reports I've seen about this.

Same problem.

I am in timezone GMT+2 and have enabled timezone support in iCal. The issue persists.

I'm in timezone GMT+10 and the same thing continues.

I've always had time zone support selected.

The times have always been fine until one of the releases in the last week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastiger View Post
I'm in timezone GMT+10 and the same thing continues. I've always had time zone support selected.
Well, there goes my theory that turning on time zone support helps the problem. :)

Quote:
The times have always been fine until one of the releases in the last week or so.
We haven't changed anything in our date synchronization recently, but we did recently fix a bug in our date selection code which would cause our date inspector to use a default time of noon rather than midnight. So if you've been using the inspectors, you've perhaps been getting due dates of noon until now, and when noon was synchronized with iCal it was still the same date.

I guess we can work around this problem by always telling iCal that the due time is noon (rather than the actual value from OmniFocus), but that's a disappointing solution since it means that other clients that don't have this problem won't get to see the actual time anymore.

Forget iCal. OF now has yesterday's items [8] showing up in red, and today's items in orange.

The problem still exists with the latest release. I tried everything (time zones...), I deleted the calendars in iCal and resynced, no changes...

I this a Leopard-specific problem?

Hey, I have to bring this up again, 'cause nothing changed over the last releases.

OF still suffers from this 1-Day-Before-sync-issue :-(