The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping notes viewable within a task or project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Any tips on this please? I am really liking OF but I also like to write down notes within a project as a sort of placeholder or reminder maybe or just as pure information. In other words, it is not a task as such but provides information that I want to see while I review my project, not a note within a task, that is not what I mean.

I also dont want to keep this info in a separate file system (as I use OF on another mac and it would break this relationship).

Example: 'Can date extract, format and copy be done in one script?'

I thought of putting a different context like 'Note' which is on hold but then it doesnt seem to be in the right place ;-)

It is not a major issue but I am hoping there are a lot of experienced people here who know what I mean.

Thanks.

Mark

What's wrong with using the notes field in the project?

Because there might be quite a few and I want so see them all separately, possibly for new activities.

I'll try your suggestion and see if it works for me :-)

Ok, I am working on a task but writing some notes into it. When I have completed the task I still want to maintain and reference those notes somewhere (they are lost on completion).

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by mmb32; 2010-04-07 at 09:10 AM..

I use Evernote for notetaking, web sync allows for keeping several machines together just as your OF. You can create notebooks there corresponding to OF folders or projects.
A bit awkward that you cannot drag notes onto OF-actions, but for me it works well to keep notes apart from "actionable" items in OF.

The trouble with evernote is you have to be online and I dont have that luxury when at work (not allowed to be on the network).

I am getting round the notes issue by keeping the tasks in a separate held context (but not project), but am hoping for something else in the future which allows more flexibility to handle this, whether this be tagging or something else I don't yet know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb32 View Post
The trouble with evernote is you have to be online and I dont have that luxury when at work (not allowed to be on the network).
Evernote certainly works offline, and will sync when you get a network connection. The desktop version has a copy of the online data, the iPhone only keeps copies of those you mark as "favorite" but you can create new notes at any time.

Possible suggestion for OmniFocus developers:
create a project option that all notes link to project note, or notes are unique to actions.

Then, no matter what note a user is clicking on, they can see all notes for the project.

My workaround is to have a folder on my hard drive with the same name as the project, and I keep a master note document (or multiple notes - TextEdit) there.

I drag that file to the Notes field of of the Project title. It always shows up when I click on the project, and it's really just a link to the main file.

My project folders are kept in a directory on Dropbox, so my solution sync's.

Somehow I feel I've over-explained this. Hopefully you can make sense of my jabbering; it's just a link to a text doc. Not sure if it will work for you, but there it is. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb32 View Post
I thought of putting a different context like 'Note' which is on hold but then it doesnt seem to be in the right place ;-)
This is what I do. When I want to add notes to a project I create them as actions with an "Info" context, that's set on hold, and I move them to the bottom of the project so that they don't tangle up the Next Action.

Gardener