The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Note vs. Row with Automatic Collapsing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a little confused whether there is any functional difference between a Note and a Child Row, esp. when you can set Rows to auto-collapse.

I used to use notes but now, I just write the note in a Child Row and set all rows to Auto-Collapse.

Last edited by dchoi; 2006-07-14 at 08:06 PM..

dchoi,
Notes are handled differently - they can be shown inline or in the Notes Pane at the bottom of the screen (my preferred method), and they can be suppressed or expanded when printing.

Also, you get to see which row has a note without having to expand it to see if it's child is a note or an actual child (though you cannot tell if a collapsed parent has a child with its own note without expanding the parent).

It's true that you can add a child and expand/collpse it as desired, making it function similarly to a Note, but you would need to do that for each and every every row to get the same results using the inline display method. A Note removes any special management or maintenance - they're just there.

Give Notes a chance, and you'll see that they are actually very useful.

James B

I don't know if I have the right terms to find what I'm looking for. Auto-collapse might be it--but I can't find it in the documentation.

Suppose that my outline has five levels. I would only like to see levels 1-3 (this can be done easily in Word outlines). Levels 4 and 5 (i.e., the children of 3) remain hidden. Is there some way to do that? Is there documentation for this? Can someone tell me what auto collapse is?
Thanks!

You can find some of the the 'Collapse' & 'Expand' commands under the View Menu. Here they are (I found them in 'Keyboard Commands' in the Help menu):

* Command+9 - Expand Row - expands the children of the selected row.
* Command+0 - Collapse Row - collapses the children of the selected row.

* Command+Option+9 - Expand Row Completely - expands all the children, grandchildren, etc of the selected row.
* Command+Option+0 - Collapse Row Completely - collapses all the children, grandchildren, etc of the selected row.

* Command+Control+9 - Expand All - expands all the rows, and their children, etc of the *hoisted* section.
* Command+Control+0 - Collapse All - collapses all the rows, and their children, etc of the *hoisted* section.

James B

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongSizeGlass
You can find some of the the 'Collapse' & 'Expand' commands under the View Menu. Here they are (I found them in 'Keyboard Commands' in the Help menu)
James, Thanks. I have found these. In case other newbies are reading this, it seems to me that they respond "as advertised" only if the entire file has first been collapsed (use "expand all" from the toolbar). If the section or the document has been expanded, then it seems that all descendents of both the command and the comman-option sequences give the same result.

However, my question is somewhat different from this. I'd like to look at the overall structure of a complex outline. Say I would like to see the chapter titles and the main headings (below which I have a various number of subheadings). The sub-sub-headings marked below with [] are items that I don't want to see.

Ch1...
Sub-head
Sub-head
[hidden sub-sub-head]
[hidden sub-sub-head]
Subhead
Ch2...

In Word, the outline view has a list of buttons, numbered 1,2,3...9.
If you press 1, you'll get the OO equivalient of collapsing all.
So, given that we don't have buttons (true?) in OO, then what would be the equivalent of pressing Word's button 2 so that levels 3 and below remain hidden?

Thanks

Linn-

The feature you want is not currently implemented in OO3. It's something we're planning to add for OO4. However, in the meantime, we do have an AppleScript up on our website in the useful scripts package that will do this for you.

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...fulScripts.dmg

Instructions to install it are included.

Look for the script 'Collapse to Level X'.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
I'd like to look at the overall structure of a complex outline.
Unless I'm picturing something different than you, this is exactly what the Sections drawer in OmniOutliner Professional is for. You can open and collapse the individual sections in the overall "tree" view in this sidebar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM
The feature you want is not currently implemented in OO3. It's something we're planning to add for OO4. ... Instructions to install it are included.

Look for the script 'Collapse to Level X'.
Derek,
Thanks for the script; it was exactly what I needed. And as a newbie to the world of macs, I appreciated the directions for installing it, too.

Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Unless I'm picturing something different than you, this is exactly what the Sections drawer in OmniOutliner Professional is for. You can open and collapse the individual sections in the overall "tree" view in this sidebar.
I see the section drawer providing an overview for the Level 1 items, but not for items at, say, Levels 1-3. Is it possible to control the depth of levels in the sidebar? (I suspect not, hence, the Apple Script from Derek).

BTW, your extended post about styles elsewhere was quite a help. Thanks!

Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
I see the section drawer providing an overview for the Level 1 items, but not for items at, say, Levels 1-3. Is it possible to control the depth of levels in the sidebar? (I suspect not, hence, the Apple Script from Derek).

Linn
The way to do this is to double-click the little page to the left of the section name in the utility drawer.