The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO Pro 4.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM
Paragraphs will paste into new rows if you paste out of text editing mode.
To add to that, press escape to exit text editing mode prior to pasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I don't want to speak about future plans--but it might be a good idea for you to brainstorm here about what you would like from a theoretical OO 4.0...
I'd really like to see the following 4 things for version 4:
  • The OmniOutliner page inside the Print dialog should remember settings between print jobs.
  • Export to Excel: I know the export plug-in by Omni but it's not the right thing for my needs. It would be nice if every indention could flow in a new row inside the Excel file. For example: Entries of the third level in OmniOutliner would be in the C column in Excel. This would lead to the same tree structure as it is in the OO file. OO notes should get saved in comments in the Excel file (as they are with the current plug-in). Advantage: I could use OmniOutliner as my main tool for outlining structures and quickly hand over an Excel file to a Windows co-worker prior to my holidays.
  • Export as HTML should optionally be possible without notes.
  • Expot (as HTML, Excel, whatever) should also be possible for the selected rows of the document only.

Sometimes OO beachballs for reasons I can't figure out, and it is reliably slow when I try to paste in say 1000 rows by 4-5 columns of plain text. So my feature request is: Better handling of large outlines, and no beachballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I don't want to speak about future plans--but it might be a good idea for you to brainstorm here about what you would like from a theoretical OO 4.0...
The only one I would like to see is a zoom function. Some of us are visually challenged as they say......

In my quest to become the most annoying poster, just a reminder: OmniOutliner 3.0 was released in January 2005. Yes, '05!

My main request for OO 4.0 would be to take advantage of the .mac / dotmac Sync services so I can keep an outline up to date across my two macs.

Yojimbo has this feature and its very handy to be able to work on the laptop when I'm away from the main machine and have those notes combine later on.

Yojimbo can also sync with my Palm TX via Missing Sync. I know your notes for OO mention the "unstable status of the Palm OS" - well a lot of us use it and a lot of other programs seem to be making the effort.

OmniFocus looks promising but its lack of syncing features in 1.0 doesn't inspire.

Last edited by Michael Quinn; 2007-07-16 at 07:32 PM..

My vote would be for image resizing capabilities. However rudimentary, any improvement would be helpful (see this thread and my cumbersome workaround).

Thanks,
Dan Byler

Seeing the folder functionality in OmniFocus I was wondering if this might be a feature in OO4.

Here's the thing: I really like the way I'm able to build a structure in the current OO. I've tested some other Outliners (Windows on the work machine...) -- some of them force the user to put "nodes" inside folders which was really embarrising for me.

OO on the other hand let's me write my thoughts straight from my brain -- no need to think about placing folders. If the mood strikes me, I hit Tab to indent and I'm done (or Shift-Tab to move the item one level up).

Please keep this feature!

Regards,
Stefan

While I have a lot of ideas for what could be added to OmniOutliner or fixed in it, the one thing that pops up in my mind way too often is Quicksilver support.

I use OmniOutliner Pro for a To Do list among many other things.

What I would like to see is the ability to add notes into it through Quicksilver, like you can add lines into .txt files. Possibly even having control on where to put them, such as under specific headers for example.

Of course I don't know if the OmniGroup can even make that since it's not actually part of the application itself, but an addon for Quicksilver, but seeins as how Quicksilver is part of so many people's arsenal of Mac apps, it has clear potential.

MJK: I haven't looked into it, but I think with Outliner's AppleScript support, this is already possible. Someone just needs to write the scripts.