The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gripes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(sorry, I originally posted this on the wrong forum, I'm a newbie, my bad, it won't happen again)

Dear production team:

I think you guys have a lot of things implemented very well, the current sneaky peek beta of 5.5 (17) is stable, and man, is it fast!! But there remain a few little niggles, minor things but quite irritating. I'll mention four.

1.) This version only launches if it is kept on the desktop or in the Computer>Applications folder. If placed in the Computer>User>Home>Applications file, or in a subfolder thereof, it refuses to launch. Which, unfortunately, is exactly where I want to keep it (since I use ChronoSynch to automatically back up my Home folder to my external h. d. daily, and want OmniWeb to be included in the package).

2. Every time I open a new window, it insists on opening on the left side of my screen, and since I have a rather large monitor, I have to drag the window to center it. Then I close it, open another window. Same thing. Gets to be a real time-wasting nuisance. I want OmniWeb to be able to remember where I located my last window and open the new one in the same place.

4. Not only does the new window open in the original place, it opens in its original size. Again, I'd like OmniWeb to remember the size as well of the location of the last window to be opened and use them for the new window.

3. I've always hated the way AutoFill is implemented on OmniWeb, where you get a drop-down list of options for each item. The Safari way, where it grabs info from your Address Book and fills out each blank in a whole page at once, is MUCH nicer.

In fact, three of these four little niggles, plus probably others I haven't noticed yet, all have to do with poorly implemented ergonomics that make the user's experience less easy and pleasant than it ought to be. They make me wonder if you ought to hire a guy for your development team whose job would be to serve as a kind of ergonomics ombudsman, who would spot these little problems and hammer the rest of the team until they got them right. God, as they say, is in the details.

I don't have any trouble opening from my personal applications folder in my home directory.

Have you tried Menu>Window>Save Window Size? Remember's the position and size for me.

[QUOTE=derekJAB]I don't have any trouble opening from my personal applications folder in my home directory.

If I put it in Home>Applications, it will open. If I put it a folder nested in Applications, all I get is a "can't launch from this location" message

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasutton@mac.com
If I put it in Home>Applications, it will open. If I put it a folder nested in Applications, all I get is a "can't launch from this location" message
I tried relocating OmniWeb to
/Users/me/Applications/Browsers/Omni/OmniWeb.app/ and it launched on my machine.

Strange it won't work for you. :confused:

I've always kept OW inside /Applications/Internet/, a habit I retained from around OS 8 when Apple created such a folder by default.

With beta versions of OW, I've often either put them inside /Applications/Internet/OmniWeb Beta/ or renamed the app bundle to OmniWeb (beta).app so that I can keep both the release version and the beta version installed and ready to use.

I've never had a problem with any of this.

You might try deleting the Launch Services cache and prefs files, as well as those of the Finder. Search on VersionTracker for any of several free apps that will do this for you. It's possible that something in one them has gotten corrupted and is preventing your change from being properly seen.

Good luck!

Quote:
What seems to be presenting this message? Is OW launching then showing you the message (then quitting), or is the Finder giving you the message without launching OW at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams
What seems to be presenting this message? Is OW launching then showing you the message (then quitting), or is the Finder giving you the message without launching OW at all?
It +seems+ to be the Finder: the message is "this application cannot launch from this location", presumably if it were Omni, the name of the program would be given. B. t. w., I checked the permissions on the folder in question, and that's not the issue.

You mentioned that you keep (or want to keep) OW in that folder with a few other browsers. Can you launch those others from there? I assume so, but just to be explicit....

Quote:
It +seems+ to be the Finder: the message is "this application cannot launch from this location", presumably if it were Omni, the name of the program would be given. B. t. w., I checked the permissions on the folder in question, and that's not the issue.

Can you give us the exact path that you're trying to open OmniWeb up at?

Quote:
3. I've always hated the way AutoFill is implemented on OmniWeb, where you get a drop-down list of options for each item. The Safari way, where it grabs info from your Address Book and fills out each blank in a whole page at once, is MUCH nicer.
That's just auto-completion. If you want to fill the form, either select View / AutoFill Form (Alt-Cmd-A) OR click on the little pencil-in-a-box icon in the status bar at the bottom of the window OR add the AutoFill Form button to your toolbar.

If you don't like the auto completion. OmniWeb / Preferences / AutoFill, selected the AutoCompletion tab and deselect the "Automatically complete form text whilst typing" check box.

Hope that helps.