The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Options Request Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If possible, I'd love to use the OmniWeb browser with a bit of control over the audio output.

Most importantly, a mute function, either accessible by key-command and/or a toolbar icon for either the entire application or browser-window.

Is this possible or is there a plugin/add-on for this that I've overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feylure View Post
If possible, I'd love to use the OmniWeb browser with a bit of control over the audio output.

Most importantly, a mute function, either accessible by key-command and/or a toolbar icon for either the entire application or browser-window.

Is this possible or is there a plugin/add-on for this that I've overlooked?
I'm not a OmniDev but your request interested me.

I don't see such a control to be necessary for a browser application. I understand you have a need for it but it usually is either implemented in the web page or one make use of the system control for system wide audio.

Audio is most often only interesting one sound at a time. I define a multi channel mixing session as being one sound. It is not many situations were you would listen to two or more longer pieces of sound playing simultaneously. Therefore it is convenient to use a system wide audio control. It can however have a few drawbacks. There could be alert signals or other audible stuff that would preferably be untouched by the system main volume. Apple have thought about this and have implemented a separate volume control for alert signals but only those from the system itself.

You might have something that you need to have outside the system control affecting the sound sources belonging to the contents in a web browser window? Please, explain what it is?

With OmniWeb's fantastic support for keeping collections of previously opened windows/tabs from session to session, it's easy to end up with dozens of tabs. When one or more of those pages decides that playing some audio is a good idea, it can be a real headache to figure out who the offender is! I don't know if this is what the OP is talking about, but it is a concrete example of where the current system can fall short.