The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how to keep a super slim database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All -

My practice doesn't much call for saving completed actions etc in OF. So I'm trying to find a way that all old data just gets removed from the database - IE, dropped & completed projects and completed tasks.

I thought that 'move old data to archive' did this, but I guess not.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdesigner View Post
All -

My practice doesn't much call for saving completed actions etc in OF. So I'm trying to find a way that all old data just gets removed from the database - IE, dropped & completed projects and completed tasks.

I thought that 'move old data to archive' did this, but I guess not.

Any thoughts?
Keep in mind I'm a newbie, but as far as I am aware it does do exactly that. It moves the entries to a different database file that does not get synced or accessed unless you specifically open it.

That is exactly what archive does. Sounds like something about it isn't working for you, though. Please provide more detail about how it's not working.

FWIW …

The Archive function moves completed tasks individually based on dates. It does NOT move entire projects or folders. That plays holy havoc with my ability to keep track of every detail on a project until it is completely completed. For this reason, I absolutely avoid using automatic Archive at all. Instead, I archive manually.

* --> File : Open Archive … This opens your archive file.
* Go to your active file and COPY the folder or project that you want to remove.
* Go to the archive file and PASTE that folder or project in place (caveat below).
* Go back to the active file and DELECT the folder or project that you wanted to remove.

CAVEAT: When you paste a folder or project manually, you may see duplicate folders appear. This happens when your pasted folder or project is in a sub-nested set of folders. The manual mood to copy + paste (or drag + drop) projects or folders has a serious bug in this regard [and YES IT HAS BEEN REPORTED many many months ago].

In summary …

The automatic Archive function gives you control only on the date before which TASKS should be archived, and the manual archive method to remove folders or projects can become tedious and has an annoying bug.

You may also want to bring up the Attachment List window and delete any large attachments that you don't need.