The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Two small bugs in 5.7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I already reported these two small bugs but they haven't been corrected:
- Press Cmd-O. Omniweb asks for a Internet address to open. If you want to cancel this, Esc is the usual way to go... but ineffective here.
- Press Shift-Cmd-O. Omniweb asks for a file to open. Go to list view, select a file with the arrow keys or the mouse and press Enter to open it... nothing happens... you have to click on the Open button.

Regards,
Emmanuel

1. Try command+.

2. Strange, works fine for me. I tried both return and enter, both opened the file.

1. Yes maybe, but Esc is much more natural and easier... '.' isn't a direct key on French keyboard, Shift is needed.

2. Did you try in list view?

1. Ah, ok. Command+. has been the standard cancel command for as long as I can remember... but when you take international keyboards into account, I can see why that's an issue.

2. Sorry, I missed that. Same problem when I use list view (I always use column view so I didn't notice at first.)

I assume you submitted these via email as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
1. Ah, ok. Command+. has been the standard cancel command for as long as I can remember... but when you take international keyboards into account, I can see why that's an issue.
fwiw, esc has been my standard cancel key for as long as I can remember. I'd never even heard of cmd+. until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

2. Sorry, I missed that. Same problem when I use list view (I always use column view so I didn't notice at first.)

I assume you submitted these via email as well?
I can't figure out why someone would prefer command+. (at least 2 keys) over escape...
Yes they were submitted by email some months ago...

Cmd + . was the default in the Classic OS for aborting actions, fwiw. Odd that an app with NeXT heritage like OmniWeb would have it as a keystroke over Esc (but I think that is likely to be a bug rather than a conscious decision).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pergesu View Post
fwiw, esc has been my standard cancel key for as long as I can remember. I'd never even heard of cmd+. until now.
The classic OS, at least back through OS 7, when something was processing a dialog used to show something like "press [command]+. to cancel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu_lazard View Post
I can't figure out why someone would prefer command+. (at least 2 keys) over escape...
Yes they were submitted by email some months ago...
I don't have to move the position of my hands to hit command+.

To hit escape, I have to move my whole hand.

At any rate, I'm not saying the bug isn't valid, just pointing out another long-standing method of doing the same thing (which is easier for me.)