The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A handful of items inspired by elsewhere Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's been a handful of nifty browser ideas what with the release of Firefox 3 and all, as well as some other ideas from other browsers and plug-ins. I'd love to see some or all of the following show up in OW:

Scripts in the toolbar a la OmniFocus and OmniOutliner

Quick bookmarking, like FF 3 (one click into an unsorted/incoming bookmarks folder)

Tabs that take up less screen space. Maybe a mouseover for preview of something? On my MacBook, the tabs make OW just a BIT smaller than a lot of web pages think it should be.

Greasemonkey/Greasekit built in. I love it and it's like plug ins without all the plug in management overhead.

Use web service for RSS subscriptions. (Google Reader, NewsGator, etc.)

Configurable smart bookmarks. I'm really enjoying Firefox's pre-built smart bookmarks. I'd love to make my own.

Quick "enable content" button (or just script support) so I can browse, say, without Javascript (for extra security) and then quickly re-enable it for a site. Yes, I can do that in site prefs, but that's quite a few clicks.

Newest WebKit build. Okay, I just want SquirrelFish. Can you blame me?

.Mac (mobile me?) and iPhone bookmark synchronization

Smarter address bar, a la Firefox 3. Yours is nice, what with scanning bookmarks and all, but Firefox 3, even after just a few days of use, really has something neat there.

SECURE web form storage. Maybe it's secure already, I'm not totally sure. Storing it in the keychain makes the most sense.

De-aquafy the interface. It WAS cutting edge, now the tab sidebar looks positively dated, and the brightly colored icons look just a bit out of place. I actually like having a little more color, but compared to other browsers, OmniWeb looks almost cartoony. (the new sneakypeek build's flat gray icons are okay, but maybe a bit too flat -- I know, I'll never be happy) Also think about a streamlined, more minimalist approach. (At least a single stop/reload button)

Visual history, a la Browseback or that weird AT&T browser. It's surprisingly useful to get a PICTURE of what you've been doing.

Auto-mark up for copied bookmarks. Hard to explain, but it would be very cool if OW could take copied links and do them up as A HREF style links, or even BBCode [URLs], depending on prefs. There's a Firefox plugin that does it, and it's super handy.

Well, that's enough. I'm sure there's great things in the future. Keep it up!

Last edited by iNik; 2008-06-24 at 05:04 AM..

Just a note on one of your requests:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
Tabs that take up less screen space. Maybe a mouseover for preview of something? On my MacBook, the tabs make OW just a BIT smaller than a lot of web pages think it should be.
You can at least resize the drawer by grabbing its outer edge. The tab icons grow or shrink when you do that. That might not be what you want, and if you make it too small, it becomes pretty useless, but you could at least gather a bit more screen estate that way.

Best regards,

Christian

Last edited by zottel; 2008-06-24 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Yeah, and I have done that, but if they get too small, you lose the name of the page. As much as I like the information provided by those little thumbnails, web pages have become so broad (generally) that it's tough to give up that horizontal real estate.

Quote:
I think Opera has it right. Normal top tabs, with a rollover thumbnail.

Agreed, Opera type tabs.

You can sync your bookmarks over webdav or to .Mac/me as it is - look in the Preferences.
Why not use Reader Notifier for Google Reader - alerts in the Menubar - and it would be great to be able to use a shell script to launch Omniweb on the latest webkit nightlies, as you can with iCab and Sunrise.