The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Request: Shiira-style tab sidebar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love the thumbnails-as-tabs GUI concept that Omniweb uses. One GUI improvement that I'd like to see, though, is a Shiira-style implementation of the webpage thumbnails. Instead of a regular OS X drawer, Shiira can have its thumbnails in a sidebar:

The rest of the window (and in particular, the navigation buttons on the toolbar) stays in the same place regardless of whether the tab sidebar/shelf is showing, so it doesn't mess around with muscle memory. Plus, it avoids the problem of Leopard's windows casting a considerable shadow over drawers ;)

Last edited by SpaceCat85; 2008-03-02 at 04:18 PM..

I think this has been discussed elsewhere, but YES - would definitely be a lot neater. Might also eliminate an intermittent bug where the drawer disappears after being minimised or quit.

Previously, there was a fairly intense debate from both sides of this argument, so the conclusion was that the ideal solution would be for the OG to implement an option for either.

That Shiira-style looks pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in OmniWeb.

Is it possible to integrate the icons?

Yea, I'd like to see this too. Drawers can get messy, I think the Shiira approach is definitely better. I could see this kind of change on a OW 6.0. Don't have us wait 2 years for this though :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueld View Post
Yea, I'd like to see this too. Drawers can get messy, I think the Shiira approach is definitely better. I could see this kind of change on a OW 6.0. Don't have us wait 2 years for this though :-/
Yes, please, what he said. Especially the not waiting part.

I'd add my vote to this. It seems that Apple is moving towards sidebars.

What I really don't like about drawers is you don't know where it will appear, left or right.
Plus you have to resize the drawer and the window if you want to re-arrange thumbnails size.
And it's hard to keep a fullscreen window if you hide the tab bar.

The only advantage of the drawer is the gain of thirty pixel vertically. And I don't think it's worth it.

So, I'm for the sidebar wich look more modern.

I'm all for Leopard stile sidebars. Drawers are so pre-10.5-ish ;-P

I'd really like to see this in version 6 as well.