The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limitation: Filtering of sequential "On Hold" actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There is a significant limitation in how sequential "On Hold" actions can be filtered.

I'd love to set up a Perspective that showed me all of my "On Hold (waiting)" Actions. But there isn't any way to set filters so that I will only see the "next" On Hold action in sequential projects.

In other words, I only want to see the On Hold items that are currently blocking Project progress while ignoring On Hold items that are not yet blocking Project progress.

Unfortunately, we're forced to choose between:
  1. Seeing all On Hold actions (even if they aren't blocking a sequential Project); or
  2. Seeing no On Hold actions.

There is no way to distinguish between On Hold actions that are actively blocking progress and those that will block future progress but are not yet doing so.

Specifically, setting the Availability filter = "Remaining" shows all On Hold actions (regardless of whether they're currently blocking). And setting Availability filter = "Next Action" or "Available" shows no On Hold actions.

Perhaps this could be a user preference (i.e., "Treat On Hold items as actionable"). Or perhaps there is a case to be made for subdividing the current "On Hold" context status into "On Hold" and "Waiting For". The former would not be treated as actionable, but the later would.

Anyone else bothered by this?