The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

They're doing the "dream browser" out there... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there Omnifolks and fellow Omniweb users!

I would like to point you to three articles about a browser concept that is taking shape amongs a few blogs and sites.
An interesting reading material methinks. Perhaps an ispiration (a challenge?) for Omnideveloppers...

Here they are:

Ideas run fast, I know...
But Omniweb development is going slow I think.

Still faithfully yours,

A user

Last edited by Gustomela; 2008-03-03 at 10:33 AM..

Not for anything, but that looks like a silly design/concept for a web browser. Not very well thought out, IMHO.

The left bar, which is useful for file browsing in iTunes or (perhaps) the Finder doesn't seem helpful in a web browser. The sidebars of Firefox, Shiira, or SafariStand seem more useful.

And that Time Machine history thing is really silly. You can use SafariStand to get thumbnails of history, but I find the full-text search of OmniWeb's history more helpful. Usually, you need to find the page you were reading about "x", and a series of screenshots wouldn't be much help.

And no one is actually developing this silly browser either. It's just someone with Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
It's just someone with Photoshop.
I agree with most of what you wrote but I wouldn't be that harsh.
Sure, it's just someone with Photoshop doing a mockup, and that one happens to be a very good designer, no sofware developer...
And yes, I don't see anybody making the real browser anytime soon...

If just crazy designers could meet experienced developers...
We could have a nicer Omniweb...
That was the point ;)

I don't know, the Quick Look concept for video footage seems like a really good idea to me - currently I use the Universal Access screen zoom feature to view embedded video at a decent size, but being able to use a QL-like feature instead would make life a lot easier.

I like the idea of being able to push an embedded video into a separate window/pane. However, I'm not a big fan of the way the OS 10.5 Finder's toolbar is implemented (tiny items, can't really add/remove categories), so I'd probably steer clear of a browser based around a similar concept.

If I were to pick one feature to push in my "dream browser", it would be a bookmarking system that has a heavy emphasis on metadata, specifically keyword tagging and iTunes-esque star ratings. You'd be able to store bookmarks in folders (the traditional way) and/or create Smart Folders that filter your collection down to whatever topic/date/rating/etc. you wish. And, when you export your bookmarks, your tags and other associated metadata for each bookmark is included in the final file (highly important for backups!).

I've been using Ma.gnolia for the last year or so and have several thousand bookmarks in the system, both new & from ancient bookmark files. I use the tags >90% of the time I'm trying to find a bookmark, and the ratings come in handy because they remind me of whether the page/article was actually any good ;)

Quote:
it would be a bookmarking system that has a heavy emphasis on metadata, specifically keyword tagging and iTunes-esque star ratings. You'd be able to store bookmarks in folders (the traditional way) and/or create Smart Folders that filter your collection down to whatever topic/date/rating/etc. you wish.
Yes, I agree on the smart folders/tags idea. Sort of like Yojimbo. I like that I can categorize my information in Yojimbo by multiple tags, and then they can appear in more than one Smart Folder.