The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Turn off "Back up database" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I don't need (don't want) Omnifocus to back up my database every day.

I launch the app every morning and then have to wait about 20 seconds while it performs this chore. I also don't need the growing folder of backups as I backup my machine several times a day anyway.

So, is there a hidden plist or something that allows me to kill this feature?

Many thanks,

Pat

I'd be in favor of this also. With my Time Machine backups, I believe I have backups of my OmniFocus databases well under control. Even if the OmniGroup does not want to implement a full 'off' preference, an option to limit the number of backups maintained would be a welcome addition.

Hmm, I could have sworn I had seen a hidden default to fine tune the backup interval, but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe I'm thinking of the sync interval?

As an aside, I've found Hazel to be really useful in keeping my number of OmniFocus backups at a reasonable level.

-Dennis

THanks for the answers.

I dump the backups straight into: ~/.Trash

I used to store them elsewhere - they got up to 1.5gb!

But they still take far too long to run and I'd like the option to turn them off altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Gilmour View Post
I dump the backups straight into: ~/.Trash
Haha, that's a good idea. But I agree, an option to disable the feature entirely would be best.

I wonder why your backups take so long? I usually don't even notice OmniFocus doing a backup on my system until I see the Growl notification that it's completed. Do you have a particularly large database or maybe a lot of attachments?

-Dennis

Well my db was 25mb in spite of having zero attachments and nearly everything archived, so I ran File>Compact Database and now it's 37k!

There's a fair chance, I suspect, this will make the backups a lot faster. Will see tomorrow when I launch OF.

Cheers, Pat