The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Entries that hold information only Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am supposing that the best way to manage info-only entries is to assign a context 'info-only' ( eg) and check the ' completed' check box so they don't show up in reviews

Am I on the right track?

peter

Would setting the context "on hold" work better than marking them completed?

dunno. I thought about it, and it seemed to me that "on hold" implies that there's more to do - a deferred action similar to 'waiting' I suppose.
I don't know what technical differences there are.

What do you do?

Wouldn't you be better off using a "info only" manager like Yojimbo or DevonThink ?

I use Yojimbo myself for more "persistant" reference infos, and since I'm doing all my writing in Scrivener, it has become the de facto "info only" project-related storage.

I have a (scrivener) project for every project I'm working on (and those are also projects in OF of course), and I import in Scrivener's Research Binder every bit of info I need to keep at hand for that project.

The only info I'm keeping in OF is contextual to the task to do (call X -> I copy-paste X's number in OF to make it more convenient when reviewing the tasks).

It's just my 0.2 €, and one man's process might be another's bane :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
What do you do?
Like J75, I use other programs to handle info only items.

I do the info-only context and put the context on hold, but I don't check the items off. That way they show when I'm looking at Remaining, hide when I'm looking at Available or Next Action, and they aren't hidden in the clutter of all of the checked off actions.

I also usually keep them in a totally separate "info only" hierarchy, but if I have one that I want to see as part of an active project, I'll put it there.

Gardener.

I also use Devon think for this stuff , Yojimbo would be good too .
Omni Focus seems to work best at handling action items IMO .
I think the workflow is designed to handle them in an expert manner and working with other info always seemd to " kludge " it up for me .

Actually, info-only items -- OF Notes -- make sense if you sync them to the iPhone. For instance, when I'm at Dartmouth library, I look books' location up in the online catalog, write them into OF (or Things) and sync to the iPhone client, then go hunt them on the shelves -- hard to do with a laptop!

Last edited by braver; 2008-10-07 at 03:16 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Actually, info-only items -- OF Notes -- make sense if you sync them to iPhone. For instance, when I'm at Dartmouth library, I look books' location in the online catalog, write them into OF (or Things) and sync to the iPhone client, then go hunt them on the shelves -- hard to do with a laptop!
For me, the location of a book would be a note added to the 'Borrow book about woozles from the library.' But I can see how other info might be more general reference and not tied to a specific action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Actually, info-only items -- OF Notes -- make sense if you sync them to the iPhone. For instance, when I'm at Dartmouth library, I look books' location up in the online catalog, write them into OF (or Things) and sync to the iPhone client, then go hunt them on the shelves -- hard to do with a laptop!
I'm always doing this with my Macbook -- of what difficulty am I not aware? :-)

I wouldn't really agree this is an info-only item, though. You've got a clear action. A list of the library locations and hours would be a useful info-only item to have along with that list of actions (borrowing books).