The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Has anyone been using the iCal Sync functionality? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am just curious to hear how things have worked. Thanks!

To be honest, I have not since I haven't had the time to take all the precausions.

If anyone has it would be nice to know what type of data it produces.

BZ

One thing I've noticed is that it creates an iCal calendar for each of my context groups (in addition to one for each of the contexts therein). There doesn't yet seem to be a way to select which contexts get synced.

That is a start.

I will try it in the morning.

BZ

Like Craig found, iCal had a calendar for each context.

Newbie iCal sync question. I use Palm Desktop, and DateBk6 -- a Palm Date Book enhancment app (I love it). How well will OmniFocus, via iCal, sync with DateBk6? Currently, I just sync with Palm Desktop, and any DateBk6-specific features are not seen in Palm Desktop Date Book, but nothing is lost in translation -- i.e., if an event in DateBk6 that has DateBk6-specific data is synched to Palm Desktop, then, say, moved to a different time -- when the event is then synched back to DateBk6, the orginal DateBk6-specific data maintains the roundtrip unscathed. Thanks.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-05-25 at 07:21 PM..

If I'm not mistaken, DateBk6 stores its own info coded in the Note field of the event, so the question would be whether that field would be messed up by the other programs. (I don't know the answer...)

That is certainly true of "Note"s attached to "ToDo", "Floating Event", and "Appointment" instances. I'm not sure where the state of things like the "Float" checkbox is stored, and whether you need to use Palm Desktop as the computer backend for that when synching.

DateBk6 has a lot of genious written into it, and despite (and perhaps at times, *because* of) the limitations of Palm screen size, input methods, capabilities, etc., I find it a very powerful tool. (I say "because of" Palm limitations, because limitations of the device can force Palm app makers to keep their features to a set that is fewer in number, but more focused and powerful.) *However* much of its powerful methods of course are lacking when using Palm Desktop, so I don't use the Desktop app much -- although the abilities to type on a full-size keyboard (I use a cool little folding Palm keyboard when I'm doing any significant amount of input), and copy and paste to and from Palm / other data, are useful at times.

I would so love to be able to do my calendar, to do list, memos, and address book in an elegant and powerful desktop app or group of apps, and also have really great input on a mobile device. If I could input into the four apps I mentioned as fast or faster than I can with a Palm and keyboard or Grafitti (I'm good at it, but your hand does get tense if you do too much) into an iPhone, I'd get one. I would love to use OmniFocus for my to do's / as a mini project manager and have that integrate well with the iPhone. Best yet, have OmniFocus also *on* the iPhone! We'll see at WWDC what possibilities, if any, exist for that kind of thing. Next best for me would be integration with DateBk6.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-05-26 at 10:07 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob
That is certainly true of "Note"s attached to "ToDo", "Floating Event", and "Appointment" instances. I'm not sure where the state of things like the "Float" checkbox is stored, and whether you need to use Palm Desktop as the computer backend for that when synching.
DateBk6 works fine syncing with the Missing Sync for Palm OS. Its info about icons, floats, and other DateBk6-specific features are stored in the notes field, which synchronizes well with iCal. You can add to the notes in iCal as long as you don't delete the DateBk6 material (which looks something like this, depending on your settings: ##@@SB@@@@@@@@@@@@@). It should be no problem to sync OmniFocus and DateBk6 via Missing Sync.

Thank you very much for that!

I need to read up on Missing Sync to see if I can use Palm Desktop for the DateBk6 Calendar, since I don't think OmniFocus has a provision for that. Possibly for Memos too, I'm not sure.

Bob