The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tab Delimited Text into Diagram Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've got a tab delimited text file which has the tree structure of a site we'd like to put into a diagram.

I'm used to using the older version of OmniGraffle and there used to be a way you could import an OmniOutliner file into OmniGraffle. I can't seem to find that now and also OmniOutliner doesn't appear to be bundled with OSX anymore either so it's not like that's an option to convert my text into their fancy version of a tab limited text tree.

Right now there doesn't appear to be any way to import my text file into OmniGraffle 5.2 and make the kind of tree diagram that my colleague appears to be able to do in Office without an issue. Any ideas?

Download a trial of OmniOutliner. Open your text file in that, save as an OmniOutliner document, open that with OmniGraffle. If you've got an old copy of OmniOutliner around from the bundle days, you can upgrade it to the current version for not too much coin.

Thanks for the suggestion. Got me around today's problem. Still it's pretty disappointing that something OmniGraffle is meant to be so good at requires purchasing more software and it's fast closing in on the price of Office for doing a lot less.

Also in the end I couldn't get the diagram to look good easily either using the default styles. Lines were going all over the place to no labels or it was dramatically stretching the diagram unnecessarily. Too often you'd drag the sliders, nothing happened and you'd wonder if there's any way you can make it actually look comprehensible. Pretty disappointing that what Graffle is meant to have over Illustrator. It still doesn't achieve what's desired when you want it to.