The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync with Entourage Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can see from the page on OmniFocus that the app will be able to sync to iCal, but that's a bit limited.
I would really love to see some kind of integration with e-mail apps. Right now, I would be delighted to get some integration in Entourage for instance... Selecting e-mails to be able to integrate them in projects, setup follow-ups, etc.... I really need something to properly manage the way I deal with the ton and a half of e-mail I receive every day and that would be a killer feature!!!

Omni-Folk, please put NO effort into Entourage integration. Entourage is a pox on my Mac life, and I would like nothing better than to trash it forever. Mail? Great! Thunderbird? Fantastic! Pine (for the command line crowd)? Kinky, but STILL more useful than (yecch) Entourage.

Sorry, Cortig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
Omni-Folk, please put NO effort into Entourage integration. Entourage is a pox on my Mac life, and I would like nothing better than to trash it forever. Mail? Great! Thunderbird? Fantastic! Pine (for the command line crowd)? Kinky, but STILL more useful than (yecch) Entourage.
Well I was thinking about two aspects that appear rather important to me: the number of users (there are quite a few Entourage users out there) and the feasibility. Entourage has a pretty extensive AppleScript support which should make things easier.

Of course Mail integration would be great and make a lot of sense to me (and I mentioned earlier that some integration with MailTags would be a great addition to OF). Thunderbird??? Not so much as far as I am concerned. This e-mail client is rather efficient and well designed but extremely poorly integrated into MacOS X. A lot of efforts would probably need to be devoted to get it to work with OF. Thunderbird 3 should bet a better integration, but that's far from being the case right now.

I understand that if you don't like Entourage you see no reason why any effort should be devoted to its integration, but other people like it (and some have no choice but using it because they have their e-mails on an Exchange server - that's a lot of people nowadays; usually professionals that would probably pay to get a licence for a nice apps that helps them organize their work… like… OmniFocus ;-) ).

Quote:
Sorry, Cortig...
Nahhh you don't have to be sorry. The forum would be awfully boring if people didn't exchange their opinions. I'm always interested to know what other people think even if they disagree with me :-)

I, too, am one of those Entourage users and would love to see syncing available as well. Even with a new version of Mail coming out this fall, I also want to see the next version of Entourage before making any changes in my email client.

Much software boils down to personal preferences, not absolute superiority, so why limit OmniFocus to only one email client (apart from severely limiting technological considerations)?

Why limit?

Selfishness! I don't want the crew spending time supporting stuff I hate.

Quote:
Why limit?

Selfishness! I don't want the crew spending time supporting stuff I hate.
Well sure then :->
I understand you hate the app and you don't use it, but for the rest of us out there it's fairly important.

Would you at least agree that integration an e-mail client app is an interesting feature??

Corentin

It's vaguely interesting (I too work at a company with an Exchange server addiction, and so have Entourage forced upon me).

And yes, something like the Mail "FollowUp" plug-in would be a keen addition to OmniFocus.

:)

Quote:
It's vaguely interesting (I too work at a company with an Exchange server addiction, and so have Entourage forced upon me).

:)
Well, that may explain why you hate it so much. But I still don't see Mail or Thunderbird being so superior to Entourage that it warrants a plea to the OG developers not to allocate any of their time to it.

Last edited by daiyi666@yahoo.com; 2007-05-31 at 02:38 PM..

brooce - I agree that Entourage (out of the box) is a broken tool, and can be extremely frustrating to work with. But it is also far more stable and (in my experience) less broken than Apple Mail.

Not that I'm trying to plug my web site (maybe a little), but you may want to check this out. I've posted a number of AppleScripts for Entourage that could possibly help you suffer... a little less :-)

Last edited by Adam Sneller; 2007-10-11 at 10:03 PM..