The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How is the Return key supposed to work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find the behavior of the Return key to be confusing and I've tried the 2 settings in the preferences dialog and don't see a difference.

If I have an item selected, and I hit Return, it creates a new item. This is as I would expect and I like it.

If I am entering the text for an item and I hit return, I would expect the behavior to be that I save the item that I'm editing, exit edit mode and have that item selected. I would especially expect this behavior when I've selected "Save items and close Quick Entry" for the "When pressing Return" setting.

However, regardless of how I have have "WpR" set, pressing return when editing an item saves the item AND goes into Quick Entry mode for a new item. As a result, every time I enter a new item, I wind up with a blank item that I didn't intend and have to then select it and delete it. It's very annoying.

Is this the correct behavior for "save items and close QE"? If so, can there be another option that closes QE and doesn't reopen it? I don't see ANY difference in behavior when selecting different options for "When pressing Return".

Thanks!

Are you working directly in the main OmniFocus window or in the Quick Entry window? The preference setting only affects the behavior of the return key in the Quick Entry window. Pressing the return key in the main window will always create a new task, regardless of the preference setting (assuming the user is not editing the note field).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Are you working directly in the main OmniFocus window or in the Quick Entry window?.
I was working in the main Omni Focus window. I think I've mentally blocked out the Quick Entry window because it looks so unwieldy.

I would love it if there was a preference for the return key in the main window. Otherwise, IMO it's awkward to enter new tasks and signal that you're done. The only way to do this seems to be to hit Esc, which seems like the wrong thing to do.

Mark

You don't really have to signal that you are done -- you can just go off and do something else! Hitting ESC as you say will close the edit, or clicking on another row (or the selection handle of the current row will also work).

When I say that I'm signaling that I'm done, what I mean is that I am trying to finishing editing the text for the item.

But the real problem isn't "how do I signal I'm done". It is that literally every time I go to add a new task, I hit enter at the end. I do this reflexively. And probably 8 times out of 10, it adds a new blank item where I don't want one. Yes I could hit escape, and I know that I can take my hands off of the keyboard, grab the mouse and click somewhere else. But this doesn't address the problem and that's what I would like to see addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markand View Post
It is that literally every time I go to add a new task, I hit enter at the end. I do this reflexively. And probably 8 times out of 10, it adds a new blank item where I don't want one. Yes I could hit escape, and I know that I can take my hands off of the keyboard, grab the mouse and click somewhere else. But this doesn't address the problem and that's what I would like to see addressed.
I do the same thing, but not as often as I once did. If this is any help, the dedicated Enter key not only finishes the edit, but it acts as a toggle to switch between editing the task title and finishing the edit. Over time I've become accustomed to hitting Enter rather than hitting the Enter/Return key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markand View Post
When I say that I'm signaling that I'm done, what I mean is that I am trying to finishing editing the text for the item.

But the real problem isn't "how do I signal I'm done". It is that literally every time I go to add a new task, I hit enter at the end. I do this reflexively. And probably 8 times out of 10, it adds a new blank item where I don't want one. Yes I could hit escape, and I know that I can take my hands off of the keyboard, grab the mouse and click somewhere else. But this doesn't address the problem and that's what I would like to see addressed.
How do you suggest this be addressed? You apparently don't want to hit some other key, and you don't want to click the mouse. It sounds like you want to be able to go along mindlessly hitting return but not have a blank line put in unless the program can somehow divine that you intend to put in another action.

Another option: you can hit Command-Shift-A to deselect all. This apparently commits any in-progress edits you may have been making as well.

-Dennis

Just want to add my voice to this - it's the single most annoying thing I found when I began using OF today. Yes, I expect I'll get used to it, but it seems odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How do you suggest this be addressed? You apparently don't want to hit some other key, and you don't want to click the mouse. It sounds like you want to be able to go along mindlessly hitting return but not have a blank line put in unless the program can somehow divine that you intend to put in another action.
No, that is not what was being requested. I think the OP wants to hit return ONCE after entering text, and see the item back in "non-edit" mode. It looks untidy to have the edit box open if you've finished editing, and I find it hinders my ability to sit back and think about the list clearly. At the back of my mind a little voice is saying "that's not a nice neat list, that's an edit in progress, so you're not allowed to think about the whole list until you finish it".

Also, I do not regard "escape" as a solution to this. Probably like many people, I have recently migrated from Windows, and the idea that Escape does anything other than cancel something is just too bizarre for words. How can "escape" imply saving your data? It's insane. :) OK, my tongue is in my cheek there, but I think you understand what I mean...

Last edited by macronencer; 2009-03-14 at 04:46 PM..

Maybe pressing the Return key should commit an active edit (as the Enter key currently does). However, if no edit is active and the action is only selected, then have the Return key create a new action with the cursor in the title field, ready for editing.

The practical difference is that you'd have to hit Return twice to create a new action if you're currently editing some other action (once to commit the current edit and once again to create the new action).

Would this be acceptable?

-Dennis