The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single actions on hold or dropped Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am aware that there is no function to put single actions on hold right now, and that this is going to be a feature in the 2.0 release some time in 2010...

But for now, how do people out there handle putting single actions within a project on hold or dropping single actions (without deleting them)?

Thanks, Robert

I'll put individual SA's on hold by putting a real far out start date. I use 8/8/88. It's easy to type and very distinctive so I don't think it's a real start date.

I was using 1/1/11, but that date will come up sooner than we think! And 9/9/99 defaults back to Sept 9, 1999.

Eric

I create a context that is "on hold" and assign the actions to that context.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm not really a fan of changing due and start dates for purposes other than what they are meant to be, because I use them quite a lot.

I guess it's not ideal to have to change a context - but I guess that sounds like a good suggestion to deal with this lack of an (essential) feature for now!

Thanks.

It would be nice if the Omni people could have something like this on the top of their priority list, if there isn't an existing mechanism to deal with this right now.

I must not understand your work practices -- how often do you put any given single action on/off hold? Why?

If you really want to preserve the dates in the dates fields, another option might be to write your action names in such fashion that you can figure out where they came from, then stick the action in a single action list that is on hold. Now you've got both context and dates preserved, so you can use the regular OF tools, but it won't show up as an available action.

Even if this feature is at the top of the priority list, I doubt it would get it to you any sooner. The underlying changes to support it aren't going to ship before 2.0, and there are other 2.0 features that generate more requests on the forum, so it doesn't seem likely they would do "2.0 lite" just to get this particular feature out before the rest of what they want in 2.0 is ready.