The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2 users in the same mac account Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

Hi

We have only 1 mac with my friend, sharing the same account, and are using omnifocus syncing with an iphone (my friend), and an ipad (me).

Is there a way to have each a different database , I mean having for me in my ipad only my projects, and my friend his projects in his iphone ?

We don t know if it s possible for example to run 2 Omnifocus in the same account of the mac, at the same moment ? Then it s easy to resolve.

Other idea we though, was to be able to sync only some project for each device ..

Thank you for your advices

eliane

Perhaps a stupid question but why not use two accounts on the Mac since it would solve your problem?

Yes, good suggestion, but it s not our mac, but one of our university, and they don t allow us having amother account on this machine...

Eliane

So if this is a university Mac then, how many other people are using it? If it's a public computer then surely you won't want to keep any personal data on there at all anyway?

The only thing I can suggest (which is purely theoretical as I've not tried it) would be that you perhaps each keep your own version of your OF database on a USB stick and use that when you're using the Mac. Not sure how that would work out for synching etc though.

no , we are the only 2 people authorised to use this Mac.

well it seem The current version of Omnifocus is not designed for more than a single user, so we've to look for another GTD ...

thank s for your help

eliane

For the record, I am quickly realizing that OmniFocus is a hybrid compromise between a fairly decent ToDo list and a Project Management app, and therefore not very useful as either.

It is NOT suitable for 2 people who share certain projects, but wish to maintain separate databases of private, other projects.

It should not be that difficult to implement this, a la Google Calendar.

How difficult can it be for OmniFocus to open and merge several databases at once (i.e. User1, User2, and Joint)??? In shared projects, one user needs to be able to put something on the other user's "plate".

Seems OF is completely contrary to the whole point of multitasking computing--it's an app that can only open one file at once. Useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoplop View Post
For the record, I am quickly realizing that OmniFocus is a hybrid compromise between a fairly decent ToDo list and a Project Management app, and therefore not very useful as either.

It is NOT suitable for 2 people who share certain projects, but wish to maintain separate databases of private, other projects.

It should not be that difficult to implement this, a la Google Calendar.

How difficult can it be for OmniFocus to open and merge several databases at once (i.e. User1, User2, and Joint)??? In shared projects, one user needs to be able to put something on the other user's "plate".

Seems OF is completely contrary to the whole point of multitasking computing--it's an app that can only open one file at once. Useless.
You should maybe read a bit of the background of OmniFocus, and particularly the task management philosophy it comes from, "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, before being so dismissive. To be certain this isn't the right solution for everyone, but I don't think it's ever claimed to be.

Dismissive? I dismiss your assessment of me, and the fact that you assume, incorrectly, that I have not done some research.

I don't need a self-promoting "guru" such as Allen to tell me what I know I need to organize or how to do it.

My point is that no one seems to be making the equivalent of iCal for task management, where you can share a project list but keep others private.

This has nothing to do with GTD but with recognizing that you are NEVER alone in life and that organizing your own life starts with the demands placed on you by OTHERS and the work you share with them and need them to do before you can advance yourself, whether they are your spouse, children, parents, coworkers, etc...

Everyone I have spoken to who has tried to use OmniFocus concurs with me. It is crippled by the use of only one database.

Neoplop, OmniFocus can open more than one database just fine. Duplicate in finder, double-click.

As you mentioned, though, OmniFocus 1.x isn't designed around syncing multi-user workflows. It's something we've discussed working in in the future, but if it were a trivial feature to add, we (or someone else) would have done it already. :-)

One bit of food for thought. Your post reminded me of this blog entry from another developer. The app may not do exactly what you want, of course, and you're entitled to your opinion, but I think there are a lot of folks that would disagree with a one-word review that tried to speak for everyone.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-09-20 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: "blog post" -> "blog entry"

Hi Brian,

If OF can open more than one database at the same time, where's the "Open" command in the File menu? ;)

Interesting link, from some developers' point of view. Not mine (I used to be one). It's such a classic mistake: developers making software based on what they want to see, or what's easy, instead of looking around to see what people need or want. This is partially what killed NeXT, as Ken is most likely aware of already.

While I have seen the word used in the context described in the article, "useless" is not meant as a slam here. It's a perfectly good descriptive. Short for "useless to me", "useless to my needs", "useless to others I've involved in my life and the search for software that actually helps instead of ADDING to our workload". I am not looking for "a minor feature" that you missed. This is huge.

When software makes the user change her needs instead of accommodating them, it is flawed. I'm not talking about feature-rich software that has a steep learning curve. That's great. But if the basis of using the software is predicated on a model of thought that just isn't natural or on ignoring basic realities of life, you have a problem.

Software is at its core, just like the internet, meant for communication with others, for reaching out _to_ others. It appears that OmniFocus is for people who work in their own bubble.

I hope that you see this on your road to OmniFocus 2.x rather than hoping people will hang in there through 8.x. No one said it was going to be easy, or trivial. This is the ONE feature that will put you ahead of the pack of [useless ;) ] task managers out there.

Google is getting there fast, but there are still plenty of people who will use iCal and a WebDAV server rather than store their stuff on the cloud. You _need_ to be the iCal of tasks and projects...

Michael