The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Canvas resize like Illustrator Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's fairly inconvenient that the canvas sizes are only attached to default or custom print sizes.

Is there any way to resize the master canvas on the fly, like Illustrator?

Canvas size can be set in the Canvas: Size inspector. Uncheck the box that says to make it a multiple of printer sheets and you can make it just about any size...is this not what you want?

No, this isn't. I'm familiar with this way of resizing the canvas, which essentially makes you guess as to what size it should be for the artwork.

I tend to start with a large canvas but if the artwork is smaller and I want to output it, I'd like to resize the canvas visually, like Illustrator. Illustrator allows you to resize the canvas visually or "to the selection" which is very convenient and usable....even for Illustrator ; ^ )

There are any number of use cases why you'd resize a canvas on the fly

Draw a box around your artwork, sizing it exactly as you want. Get the measurements of the bounding box and put in the canvas inspector. Do this hundreds of times before you see them build in such a feature. Increase the odds of that by sending in a request via Help->Send Feedback (a forum post won't have the same effect) and hope that there are lots of other requests for that functionality.

Can't you just export the selection in the export dialog box?

I don't really understand what you're suggesting. You're suggesting I perform 3 to 4 manual steps including memorizing numbers or copying and pasting numbers to simply resize the canvas to the artwork? And this is simpler than allowing visual resize of the canvas?

No. Because it's not just the selection. It can be a number of pages. The design evolves organically and the page size cannot always be set in advance.

This seems like a simple, obvious feature request. I wonder why there is so much resistance rather than support for the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsmith72 View Post
I don't really understand what you're suggesting. You're suggesting I perform 3 to 4 manual steps including memorizing numbers or copying and pasting numbers to simply resize the canvas to the artwork? And this is simpler than allowing visual resize of the canvas?
No, I'm suggesting something you can do today while you wait for this feature to be implemented, if it ever is. I can't look into the Omni request database, but taking the forum traffic as a representative sample of what the people who are sending in feature requests through the proper channels are requesting, this is not one that is getting many votes, which means it isn't likely to happen as soon as a feature that enjoys popular support.