The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filter out by by start date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the best parts of kGTD was that you could set a start date for an action, then forget about it; the program would bring up that action on the start date.

I have not been able to find a way to do this in OF. I've entered start and due dates for some actions, but none of the filters seem to be able to filter out by start date, i.e. to filter out those tasks whose start date has not yet arrived.

Am I missing something, or is this not yet implemented?

Right now, projects with a future start date are still being listed as available. The implementation is not completely done. You can expect the final result to be like Kinkless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Right now, projects with a future start date are still being listed as available. The implementation is not completely done. You can expect the final result to be like Kinkless.
I hope this will be the case with tasks as well as projects. I might have a parallel project that is active (because it has no start date, or the start date has arrived), but a task in it that can't yet be started. I think tasks should automatically inherit the start and due date of the project (perhaps displayed in italic, to indicate that they are project dates rather than task-specific dates), but the user should be able to specify task specific dates for individual tasks.

Example: my project "Clean the garage" might start on Sat. 5/19 (just for example!) but the task "Call small engine repair shops about the lawn mower" might have a start date of Mon. 5/21 because the shops are closed on the weekend. I'd like to be able to filter out that task until Monday, especially in the Context view.

Just a quick P.S. to my post: I think the "Available" filter should filter out tasks that are unavailable for two reasons, not necessarily mutually exclusive:

1. The task is not the next action in a sequential project (currently implemented).
2. The task has a start date that has not yet arrived (not yet implemented).

The "Remaining" filter, on the other hand, should show both of those kinds of tasks. If that's what you have in mind, bravo!

My reasoning: for doing (mostly in context view) I would like to see either next tasks, flagged tasks, or tasks that are available for either reason (next in a sequential project or the time to do them has arrived). For planning (mostly in project view) I would like to see remaining tasks even if I can't yet do them for either reason.