The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why is my database so big? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My database seems to be getting larger almost every day. Quickly, it is up over 19 mb; December 1 it was 2.8.

I have archived everything over 2 months old, and rebuilt the databse. I do not think I have any large attachments. I think it has something to do with the iphone/idisk sync, as that seems to be taking longer and longer. (I have been getting a dialog box about client registrations lately; i don' know why.)

I have tried the "show contents" of the omnifocus file, but don't really like the idea of messing with this. Is there a way to see what is using all that space, or a way to safely reset the sync and/or find possibly hidden attachments? Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few threads that talk about this. It seems like the quickest fix is to make sure all of your devices sync once in the same one hour window without any database changes in between. That will allow a database compaction.

Curt

The message about client registrations is the key here. If you get that message, it means that one or more of your clients (iPhone or desktop) hasn't managed to sync in more than a week. The database has to store all the changes as separate files until all the clients are on the same page, so to speak, and that can make the database get quite large, which is why you get the warning. Take a look at that client display more carefully and see if you have some duplicate entries there, or have used OmniFocus in the past on a machine where you are no longer doing so. If you delete any duplicate entries, or entries for clients you no longer wish to use, and have all of your active devices do a sync, then have them do a sync again an hour later, you should get some relief. It's slow, but you can still successfully sync your devices, right?

First, thank you for the response. What you both suggested makes sense, and I have tried to fix the problem using your suggestions. My issues now is that I have reduced the database from 19 mb to 10, which is obviously still way to large. I fear that many of the duplicate entries still exist in the database, but I can't see them, if that makes sense.

Any thoughts on how to reduce it further? I would like to basically start again, but I don't want to either lose all the stuff I have, or the ability to get into the archive.

I think you're at the point where you need to "Send Feedback" from the Help menu. Good luck!