The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

No more input managers for OW if running Leopard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since I rely heavily on LiveDictionary when using OW, it came as rather bad news that Leopard will ostensibly not allow plugin input managers.

Can anyone confirm this, however? I've looked into other options, such as Language Aid, but none work as well as LiveDictionary, which pops up definitions for many different language according to which dictionary has been selected.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com View Post
Since I rely heavily on LiveDictionary when using OW, it came as rather bad news that Leopard will ostensibly not allow plugin input managers.

Can anyone confirm this, however? I've looked into other options, such as Language Aid, but none work as well as LiveDictionary, which pops up definitions for many different language according to which dictionary has been selected.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

As I heard from random but respectable places, the “Input Manager” functionality will be replaced by some other (and safe) method in couple of weeks by developers.

Apple is giving up their own invention because of some idiot trolls going low enough to code a trojan to prove their point. Plain sad in fact.

So the point is, give some time and try other ways of getting that function until Leopard and third parties stabilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz View Post
Hi,

As I heard from random but respectable places, the “Input Manager” functionality will be replaced by some other (and safe) method in couple of weeks by developers.

Apple is giving up their own invention because of some idiot trolls going low enough to code a trojan to prove their point. Plain sad in fact.

So the point is, give some time and try other ways of getting that function until Leopard and third parties stabilize.
Thanks for the reply. Today, I also found this little bit:
Input Managers still work, with some restrictions:

"The requirements (from the AppKit release notes, which aren't yet posted on developer.apple.com):

* /Library/InputManagers only
* Must be owned by root user and admin group, with no write permissions for group or other (755/644).
* Processes running as root user or with wheel group won't load them.
* Processes can't change user/group id
* No 64-bit processes" (10/26/2007, Version: 0.8.2)