The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use OF with GMail? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are you using the Quick Entry one or the other one? If you are using the straight to in-box, you probably won't see much happening. But you may want to look at the Inbox in OF to see if it put the thing in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbro View Post
I got the the URI handler bookmarklet to work in Firefox, after using kaijin's fix. However, I can't get the keyboard shortcut to work. When I press it, the Bookmarks menu item lights up for a second, but nothing happens…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbro View Post
I got the the URI handler bookmarklet to work in Firefox, after using kaijin's fix. However, I can't get the keyboard shortcut to work. When I press it, the Bookmarks menu item lights up for a second, but nothing happens…
I don't believe you can assign a keyboard shortcut to non-Cocoa apps (like Firefox) using Mac OS X System Preferences. It sounds like you can for Fluid.app, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
I don't believe you can assign a keyboard shortcut to non-Cocoa apps (like Firefox) using Mac OS X System Preferences.
I don't think the issue is non-Cocoa (i.e. Carbon) apps. I can assign keyboard shortcuts to iTunes and BBEdit, both of which are Carbon.

If there's an issue with Firefox, it seems it's specific to that app.

-Dennis

Thank you all for your helpful answers!

I've been meaning to post a reply for a while, but time flies as I'm sure you all know, and I seem to have some problems striking a balance between spending too much time in these forums and waiting far too long before getting around to answering ;)

I have managed to assign a keyboard shortcut to the bookmarklet in Fluid. It does indeed seem like assigning keyboard shortcuts generally just doesn't work with Firefox. Pity. Or maybe just the push I need to switch to Safari…

However, the bookmarklet still doesn't work well without a mouse. When using it, the quick entry window pops up, but it isn't active, so I have to either click it with the mouse or cmd-tab to OF to be able to change the text or just save it.

I'm wondering if this could be related to the other problems with the QE window in OF 1.7, but it seems to be a different issue. Maybe the bookmarklet script can be tweaked to fix it?

Just using the global clippings shortcut, as whpalmer4 suggests, is an option in Safari (it doesn't work in Firefox). The problem with that method is that it only works if you mark a bit of text in the email -- at least on my Mac.

I am still waiting for the day, i can send an email to omnifocus with a task @contxt in the subject and someout without going through mail, it gets sent to omnifocus.

Right now doing it through mail seems to work sporadically

Dwayne, how do you propose to send email to OmniFocus without using Mail?

If you are sending plain text emails and don't have another program reading your incoming mail before Mail has a chance to process it, it should be very reliable. Contact the support ninjas if you aren't having that result!

I wish this would just work like Evernote. Email something to a special address and it gets added...

Of course, this would require OF to create a whole new cloud based storage architecture...

Is there a way to setup the link in the note so that when clicked it will open the message in GMail in the SSB I created in Fluid?

This solution is almost perfect for me except that when I click the link it opens in Safari and not in the SSB.

thanks,
chuck

palmer, its okay... itd be nice to have a more seamless way.. where i dont have to remember to open up mail, as i hardly use mail now.. i dont know.. i may switch to another method instead of using omnifocus like gtd for gmail or something, seriously.