The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.5.4 beta 1 now available. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniWeb 5.5.4 beta 1 is now available! While this isn't a huge update it does address a couple issues that we think everyone will appreciate.

First, we've addressed a security issue (<a href="http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2007-0478">as reported here</a>), this fix prevents code inside HTML comments to be executed that could occur in some circumstances.

Next, we fixed an issue with the history index that allows old content to get removed from the database. This means that your index should no longer grow to painfully large sizes and slow page loading performance down. Please note however, on first launch of 5.5.4 your history index file will be reset. This will not affect your History list but you will be required to revisit pages to include them in full text search of your history.

These in addition to some JavaScript and Localization fixes make up 5.5.4, you can get the full release notes here.

Then go download!

Does this fix the JS induced CPU spiking or do we still have to wait for another release for that? I assume this isn't an update to a newer version of WebKit as it doesn't mention it anywhere?

No what we addressed relates to the history index--webkit update is coming in 5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
No what we addressed relates to the history index--webkit update is coming in 5.6.
Just curious, since I'm a relative new-comer to Omniweb, which updates are paid updates? 4.whatever - > 5.0? 5.0 -> 5.5? Is it paid updates for every major version number? Or sub-version numbers like OS X?

Just major versions, you only pay for 5.x once and all the point releases (5.5, 5.6) are free.

Which is what always makes me laugh when people complain about paying for a browser when they "review" OmniWeb at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com - I've dished out a grand total of $28 for OmniWeb in 5 years of using it since version 4.0.x (I qualified for the Academic pricing - $19 IIRC - on first purchase, and the upgrade to 5.0 was $9... it would have been $38 if it wasn't for the academic discount). This for a browser that was by far and away one of the most advanced (and certainly the better integrated) of those available on OS X when 5.0 was released. Its lead in the feature set stakes has been diminished by comparable functions appearing in the others over the past couple of years, so its value for money has decreased a bit recently, but here's hoping that 6.0 sets the bar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
... Its lead in the feature set stakes has been diminished by comparable functions appearing in the others over the past couple of years, so its value for money has decreased a bit recently, but here's hoping that 6.0 sets the bar again.
True, but for the features I enjoy most, namely site preferences and zoomed editing, it's still ahead of the pack (SafariStand site preferences aren't quite the same). I, too, hope that 6.0 will raise the bar again. If not, bear in mind that its value may have decreased but so did licensing fees. OW was on sale for $10 in November and now runs $15--even cheaper than the academic pricing we got for our original licenses.

Keep up the good work. I'm also looking forward to seeing OmniFocus later this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Which is what always makes me laugh when people complain about paying for a browser when they "review" OmniWeb at www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com
I have yet to find a free browser. Just like there's no free lunch, there's no free browser either.

The most common cost of a browser is time.