The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Create Calendar Toolbar script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hmm. Ok I can't help any further with diagnosis, but I seem to have fixed the problem by deleting the newly created (but empty) calendar that the script created when it errored out. Ran it a couple times more, no problems so far.

Thanks ptone for the great script. I was wondering if it was possible to enhance it a little.

1. Set a default alarm if that option is set in iCal preferances.
2. Right now the events being created in iCal are half an hour long by default. Is there a way to change this behavior based on the Duration field in OF?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this feedback.

Quote:
1. Set a default alarm if that option is set in iCal preferances.
I'm surprised iCal doesn't respect this pref when events are created via AS - I'll look into this.

Quote:
2. Right now the events being created in iCal are half an hour long by default. Is there a way to change this behavior based on the Duration field in OF?
Would you do that for both the start and due dates? (I would guess just the start dates).

My plans for this script are to merge it with another unreleased script I have that syncs a perspective with an ical (so that events created in ical goto inbox, and the completion status gets synced back to OF).

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this feedback.

I'm surprised iCal doesn't respect this pref when events are created via AS - I'll look into this.

Would you do that for both the start and due dates? (I would guess just the start dates).

My plans for this script are to merge it with another unreleased script I have that syncs a perspective with an ical (so that events created in ical goto inbox, and the completion status gets synced back to OF).

-P
I'd have to say for start date only. I am thinking that most of the time when people have due date, it's something noncontinous. They would finish it in multiple phases before the due date.

Start date/Duration combination on the other hand will be used mostly to mark things like meetings and appointments.

Your script about ical events linking back to inbox sound real awesome. I am wondering if we can request to make your final script part of the standard release.

My last request may sound like growing grass before buying a cow, but being a keyboard-slave I have to say that it'd really awesome if there was a keyboard shortcut to run the script.

Ok, I'm having basically the same error again, and I've narrowed it down a *little* bit. I'm always running the script's option to "Create Events for Due Dates," and I use a calendar called "OmniFocus" in iCal to designate the script's output.

Here's the error message:
Can’t get id of value of tree 1 of content of document window id 496088 of document id "liw8Dlb_jcg".

The result after running the script which quits with the above error, is that I get either an iCal calendar with no events in it. I've tried both deleting the "OmniFocus" calendar, hiding it, etc. Was getting the same error repeatedly. Then, I toyed around with the view in OF in which I run the script, and was able to locate what I think is the problem.

The error seems to be isolated to when, in Planning Mode, the left-hand pane is set to show the Inbox (either alone or with other projects/actions) **and the Inbox is empty**. Script runs fine in: Context Mode; Planning Mode in any view not showing an empty Inbox (including if other projects are "empty" and have no actions in them); and Planning Mode in any view showing a non-empty Inbox.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for your work!

A lot of people seem to be saying "OmniFocus is just not about hard dates". Well, I can't see why it wouldn't be.

For me, if I book a date with a plumber (which I just did), I want to do that through OmniFocus, because well, I just do. That's where I do everything. Others may not be so inclined, but I don't "feel like" jumping to some other paradigm to schedule that day. That could be because OF is so cool... Who knows.

Having "Plumber at 1:00 on the 29th" as a To Do among a list of To Dos is weird, I think most would find. So it's a hard date, and I want to see it that way in iCal. People who are saying that are right, I think. But: why force me to use something other than OF to input those hard dates?

Yes, it adds another layer, and the quest for simplicity is good. How about doing it this way:
In the inspector, add a "sync" tab, where the user checks off "add this as an event in iCal on sync", and checks one or both: "event appears on Due date", "event appears on start date".

Anyway, that script is great, and makes me even happier with OmniFocus. Thanks ptone!

Last edited by paulduv; 2008-01-24 at 12:17 PM..

This is an awesome script. It's exactly what I needed for school deadlines and such. I definitely think a feature like this should be included in OmniFocus. I found the current integrated iCal sync quite unintuitive and awkward.

Say if we use the flags to define our MITs for the day. How can we modify this script to only place flagged items in the calendar?

Last edited by zachware; 2008-05-06 at 06:09 AM..

I am trying to set this up to put the reminder into my default calendar (Personal), but it seems to hang ical and OF when I do?

Any ideas?

it is very good,
thanks...

perhaps one thing missing: the possibilty to add an alarm...
any way?

TIA

Alessandro