The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can I achieve my workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been testing Omnifocus and really like it so far. One of my only issues is the way I usually think about what to work on is by Project. I broke my Projects into projects by areas (Admin, User, Online). This was all well and good until I wanted to order my actions across a project so I could see no matter the area what I needed to do next. This is not possible since I have sub projects. My temporary solution was to put all my actions under the project and nest my contexts by area. So I would have Work > GivingKiosk > Admin, Work > GivingKiosk > User. By getting rid of the sub projects I can then order all my actions in the project. This works but something tells me I breaking a rule of GTD or Omnifocus that will bite me later...opinions?

Link to images of before and after
http://img189.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture1huy.png

Last edited by jsuggs; 2009-07-18 at 10:12 AM..

Unfortunately, the screen captures end up at such a small size that I can't really make out what you are doing. Any chance you could post links to them on imageshack.us or the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Unfortunately, the screen captures end up at such a small size that I can't really make out what you are doing. Any chance you could post links to them on imageshack.us or the like?
You are correct...I uploaded then had to leave and never noticed. Here is the link to them.

http://img189.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture1huy.png

Thanks.

I think in general you are kind of mixing your projects in with your contexts, which I think is not really the way the application was designed, so I guess I would be cautious about that. It seems like what you're trying to achieve is to be able to intermingle the things in your projects that fit into these different areas according to the importance of the different projects, but still be able to keep this area information in the application so that you can group by area or limit what you are viewing by area. I think that what you lose by doing that is having simple contexts that include actions from more than one project, so that you can work in one context and get things from different projects done. It would be my recommendation to go back to the way it was, with action groups according to the area, if that helps you order what you are doing, and then order those groups according to which are most important, even if you can't get the individual actions into the precise order that you would want them. If you want to focus on particular areas, you might try flagging the action group (which will flag all of its member actions) and then using one of the flagged filters in context view.