The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPlan workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to OmniPlan and looking to understand how people are using it. My background in project management are from the PMI methodology. The general workflow I am looking for is: 1) creating a work breakdown structure 2) project network digram 3) Gantt diagram

It appears that OmniPlan tends to be designed as visual Gantt chart based. I would like to start with the project beginning of creating a WBS. I see references in some of the help files between the various Omni applications. One reference is within these forums about a Work Breakdown Structure function within OmniGraffle but the post is 2 years old and does not seem to be an export function to a work breakdown structure in the current OmniGraffle Pro.

I guess the most confusing thing I have so far with OmniPlan is that when you first open it you are already having current dates thrown around when the most time consuming task and the first task is planning the project. I have read through the manual but it does not make this clear to me. Am I missing something?

I need to be able to start with the WBS (no dates now please I am in planning the tasks not finalizing.) and then as I have broken the tasks down in detail; show a representation and then move to the Project Network Diagram (how to get the task done) and then finally to the Gantt chart and project scheduling.

Any insights would be appreciated.

We don't have a Project Network Diagram feature in OmniPlan (this is a feature request).

If you create a simple WBS in OmniGraffle you can save your work as an OmniGraffle file and import it into OmniPlan. The hierarchical structure should be maintained during import.

AK - I have the same issue as haarberg. The standard for project management and planning comes from PMI. I am currently managing two projects that require a work breakdown structure. This is the starting point of any project according to PMI, but Omni Plan doesn't take that into account.

I tried your suggestion with a simple WBS and you can view the output at:

http://gruntconsulting.com/files

It doesn't really translate into anything useful because the conceptual organization of a gantt chart and a work breakdown structure (wbs) are different. Nevertheless, both are crucial in project planning and management.

Last edited by Ted NY; 2010-04-30 at 08:55 PM..

Using a WBS from Omni-Graffle, you should be able to change the WBS breakdown to create groups, then assign tasks within those groups. Not ideal, but workable.

It would be great if Omni-Graffle used PMI standards for their workflow! Add in those features that some people won't get, but that us PMI folks NEED.