The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Crazy Idea: OF web client using MobileMe? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
This is off the top of my head so bear with me...

First of all, I have to give props to the OmniGroup for what they have done with OmniFocus. I use the Mac client and iPhone client using the MobileMe iDisk as a syncing point. I've had it working flawlessly for the most part since OF for the iPhone was released. So what OmniGroup has right now is awesome and I love it.

Problem Statement: I, like others on this forum, use the Mac OS at home and a Windows OS at work. I use OF for all of my tasks (work included) so that all my tasks are in one place. Yes, I could use Outlook as a task manager at work, but it requires a separate place for work tasks and I've tried this and inevitably the Outlook tasks become stale from lack of use. Also, my workplace blocks a lot of websites and services so MobileMe won't sync with my Outlook (I wouldn't want this anyway as then my personal data would be on a work machine).

Proposed Solution: Since I'm already using MobileMe's iDisk and I'm assuming a nice collection of users are as well, what if MobileMe's services could be used to provide a web client for OF? I am able to access MobileMe from work (except for iDisk, which work blocks the URL). Would it be possible for a webpage to run from the MobileMe web hosting portion that had access to the OF file on iDisk?

I'm not a web developer or programmer so how this could be accomplished is beyond me. It just seems feasible for a webpage to be hosted on my MobileMe account that can access (via a secure method) my OF file on iDisk.

Security would be a concern here since a webpage would be accessing the OF database, but maybe it could work...

Thoughts?

I've heard Omni has something in the works as a proposed solution my problem. Looking forward to see what's coming down the pipe.