The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cannot create a half or quarter circle with Bezier Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey forum

I know I can use a tool to create a half or quarter circle.
But I will learn in which way I can it do with Bezier tool.
Maybe I'm stupid but I dont understand the workflow with Bezier.
Sometimes red lines on start or end of line comes sometimes not.
I make mistakes ?
Is somewhere a SIMPLE step by step lesson to learn it.

Jochen

You can't easily make a circular arc with Bezier curves.

If you want the Bezier handles at the start, just click and drag and the handle will appear. If you want to access the handle at a point where it's hidden, cmd-click and the red handle should appear.

Easiest method I've found so far is to use the straight line type with a midpoint and very large corner radius set in the Lines and Shape Inspector.

Thanks Chris&Joel

@Joel
Mabay I make a mistake.
I have an empty sheet.
Ruler = pixel.
Grid matrix = 100 px.
subdivision = 10 px.

I create a line with point in the middle.
The lenght is 200 px.
I move the middle point some pixel.
I change the midpoint in inspector with the arrow from 0 to 50 pt by corner radius.
I use this in the top of inspector labeld stil > lines and form.
50 pt the maximum ????
I cannot change this to 200 ?

Jochen

The steppers only go to 50, but you can key into the input field and put very large values there (I typically use 500).

Hope that helps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
The steppers only go to 50, but you can key into the input field and put very large values there (I typically use 500).

Hope that helps,
Yes, thanks, yesterday I use 500 but I forgot RETURN ;-(

Jochen

Last edited by jochen; 2009-02-25 at 10:38 AM..

Why not use the arc tool? Let's say you want a horizontal semicircle. Place a horizontal arc (drag it from shapes) on the canvas and click on the end points, extending each end until the angle is 90 degrees (indicated in the little box). For a quarter circle, set each end at 45 degrees. To change orientation, hold down command key and click on resize box - it now allows rotation by any angle, indicated in a little box. The problem with the corner radius approach is that the shape has a control point and moving this can distort the object - also, you don't know when it is exactly a semi or quarter circle. Finally, with the arc approach, you have the center, which is a cardinal point and can be used with alignment guides (I think).

wn

@warrenn
Thanks for answer.
I think its helpful but my english is not good enough to understand your tip, sorry

Jochen

Edit:

In the tool palette from left to right there are:
Halbkreis = semicircle
Viertelkreis = quarter circle
Viertelbogen = quarter arc

What is canvas ?

Last edited by jochen; 2009-02-26 at 09:34 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
Why not use the arc tool? Let's say you want a horizontal semicircle. Place a horizontal arc (drag it from shapes) on the canvas and click on the end points, extending each end until the angle is 90 degrees (indicated in the little box).
In which way can I click on end points of a arc ?
If I click on an end point I can only change the whole arc or rotate the arc.

Jochen

Sorry, I was planning to learn German (for a long visit) but didn't get very far.

Clicking and dragging on the ends of the arc does allow one to change its angle. This allows one to make an arc whose angle is 90 degrees (quarter circle) or 180 degrees (half circle).

Clicking or dragging on one of the 6 resize squares on the arc allows you to rotate it (with the command key down).

The canvas is the drawing region - the part of the window you use for drawing.

Hope this helps.

Warren Nagourney

Last edited by warrenn; 2009-02-26 at 09:49 PM..