The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Change Due Date without Changing Repeat Date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is their anyway to change the due date of a task without changing the date it repeats?

Here is what I need. I work in sales and every year I have customers place their orders with me. I need a task to repeat every February 1st to "Place order for customer X." However, sometimes my customers don't get their orders to me until a few weeks later so I need to push the due date back. But I want the task to reappear every February 1st so I am reminded to start asking about their orders. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

If you set 'due again' (or 'start again') it will use the day you actually mark the item complete to calculate the instance.
If you set 'repeat every' it will use the start & due date to calculate the next instance.
So if you do the latter, and don't change the action's start/due date, I think that'll do what you want?

Thank you for your feed back. If I change the due date the repeat date is automatically changed to a year from the adjusted due date. Which is not what I want.

I'm going to have to re-think my approach. Maybe I will break it down into smaller individual tasks. That way I can make give separate due dates to each task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanC View Post
Thank you for your feed back. If I change the due date the repeat date is automatically changed to a year from the adjusted due date. Which is not what I want.

I'm going to have to re-think my approach. Maybe I will break it down into smaller individual tasks. That way I can make give separate due dates to each task.
If this happens occasionally, I just let it go overdue and keep an eye on in with a perspective.

The thought occurs though that the original date is not the actual due date as you suggest it slips regularly, so why not set the due date later?

However I'm guessing that you use the original due date as a reminder to kick off the task, so why not have a project similar to the below, all tasks have the same due and complete dates as shown and a repeat of 12 months. The project does not repeat.

Sales Project
* Task Start - 1st of Feb
* Task reminder 1 - 8th of Feb
* Task reminder 2 - 15th of Feb
* Task reminder 3 - 22nd of Feb
* Task reminder 4 - 1st of March
* Is Task Complete yet - 8th of march.

This would give you regular reminders to keep the project ticking over, but would allow the date to slip as far as you want, just keep adding tasks.