The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

sorting by due date in project mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way of getting the due date perspective to work like flagged items so that only actions with a due date will appear when i'm in project mode?

I find it a little frustrating that if i have a list with fifteen actions and only one has a specific due date, i still see the other fourteen when i'm in the Due perspective.

I can get close to what i want if i set the Status Filter to 'Due Soon' but then it won't display items with due dates that are in, say, three month's time.

I suspect i'm missing something obvious but i can't figure out what it is. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Are all these items in the same project, or scattered across many projects?

Generally, if you want to look at individual actions as your focus, you're better off doing it in Context mode. I would use Context mode, grouped by Project, sorted by Due, showing Due or Flagged. But if you have sequential projects, and some actions don't have due dates but are earlier in the sequence than actions that do, you won't see the actions without due dates.

Yes, they're scattered across many projects.

I've never used contexts as it always felt a little artificial: i'm either at work or at home (yes, my life really is that exciting). I've also tended to avoid adding contexts because i've found adding them clutters up the UI, but again that's me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, though. I just wasn't sure whether there was a little checkbox or filter somewhere that i wasn't aware of.

cheers,
chris.

Doesn't matter if you assign contexts or not -- the context view is usually the one you want to use if you are interested in operating on single actions (sorting, filtering, grouping), and the project view works on projects.

By the way, I see that for some reason the "Due or Flagged" selector should actually be called the "Due Soon or Flagged" selector. I don't know if it has always been this way, or if I missed a change, but either way, it seems like a bug, not a feature. If you want to see all of your due items, select Remaining for the action selector, group by Due, and close the group that is labeled No Due Date. Or group by project, sort by due, and stop looking once you reach the point in each group where there are no due dates listed.

That "Due or Flagged" thing only showing Due Soon actions seems like a bug to me!