The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best Practice in Tracking RECURRING Actions/Projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

So I come to this forum about 6 times a year, usually with a pressing concern; having been a GTD & OmniFocus user for the past 8 years since I was 18 and it has brought my unbridled success.

With that being said, there are more than a handful of recurring actions that I've decided within myself that I must undertake on a daily, bi-daily or weekly basis in order to keep the ship running smoothly. As David Allen calls this, "Maintenance."

The bulk of my projects, in which I have Current Projects under one of 4 folders:

1) Health
2) Wealth
3) Love
4) Clean

Health from physical to mental health. Wealth from work, finances, job errands. Love from family, friends, girlfriends, community service. And Clean for those little tasks such as clean the grill, vacuum the room etc. (Current projects)

Secondly, I have 2 folders titled Someday and Maybe, respectively. Each of these two folders lists the same 4 areas I listed above, just consisting of action items that I may someday will probably do (though no anytime soon) and the Maybe folder lists things I don't feel committed to ever doing, but may for kicks and fun.

With that being said, it's important for me to mention that those 4 areas I listed above nestled under Current Projects NEVER EVER list any recurring actions/projects. I love seeing projects and actions come in and leave for good in this Current Project area.

However there is one folder called "Maintenance" in which my recurring projects/actions live. This folder lists items such as:

A. Read to my kid
B. Read myself
C. Exercise/Lift weights
D. Meditate
E. Track Daily Calories
F. Write in Journal
G. Manage Finances
H. No Alcohol Today
I. No Marijuana Today
J. No Caffeine Today

It is these recurring actions that are all "On Hold" in OmniFocus because they are live in my Lift app. For those of you that don't know, Lift is a recurring to-do list that tracks your progress on recurring items; however it's all online based and in no way talks w/ my OmniFocus or any GTD product. Furthermore, this Lift application and website is in a growing phase where they're introducing a ton of new features and ridding what doesn't work for them; something of which I'm not wanting to be in the process of. The only benefit I see with Lift for myself is that it shows me green tickers telling me how much progress i've accomplished in the past recents weeks and months. Admittedly, it's thanks to this app i've stopped drinking any alcohol, and have read to my kid on a more recurring basis; however of course all is a work in progress and have noticed myself drinking a ton of Coca-Cola lately.

The Reason Why I'm Posting & Ask of You, Fellow Experienced OmniFocus User

I need something that can track my progress (or lack of) and am very simply wondering what others in this forum are doing themselves.. even if at the very least in helping marinate some ideas as to how to better see my progress so I can feel comfortable dropping them and knowing I've attained a new habit.

*Edit, I uploaded the side pane of OmniFocus (Maintenance is Lift) and the second shot of Lift and my not drinking alcohol since April 14th, though it says I drank on May 7th, it wasn't the case.. this Lift app just won't let me check off a task once 5 days have passed; another limitation with this app... though I do love that it gives me a monthly view of my successes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.45.14 AM.png
Views:	2185
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.45.51 AM.png
Views:	1932
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	3000  

On the iphone I use an app called 'Good habits' for those daily things I want to track my adherence to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
On the iphone I use an app called 'Good habits' for those daily things I want to track my adherence to.
Specifically which Good Habits app are you using? I've discovered a few with that title.

Would you mind also elaborating as to why you find this app particularly useful?