The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new sync to iPod script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here is a script for those of us who want to carry around a quick access to our Omnifocus info with our iPod.

Since iCal todo list removes the context information I have written a script that creates notes our your iPod that replicates the projects view and the context view.

Features:
  • Export all Projects, folders and all actions
  • Export Contexts view that only shows the next action.
  • Export the content of the note for each action

You need to update the script with your iPod volume name, connect your iPod and your are good to go!

On your iPod, navigate to Extras->Notes->OmniFocus.

Enjoy and feel free to give feedback!

Rod

The latest file is available here OmniFocus iPod exporter

Last edited by RodCloutier; 2007-08-17 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Removed file in favor to link to website

I tried using this, and I'm getting the "Failed to find iPod" error, even though /Volumes/myPod/Notes exists.

Any hints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
I tried using this, and I'm getting the "Failed to find iPod" error, even though /Volumes/myPod/Notes exists.

Any hints?
Exactly same problem! Did anyone make it work the right way ?

ipod name: "MISHA'S IPO"

I'm wondering if the apostrophe (') throws things off. I too had problems, and I too have an apostrophe in my iPod's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm wondering if the apostrophe (') throws things off. I too had problems, and I too have an apostrophe in my iPod's name.
for now i just removed checking code, remove this form script:

Code:
	tell application "Finder"
		if not (exists folder "Notes" of POSIX file iPodPath) then
			set dialogButtons to {"OK"}
			set msg to "Failed to find iPod " & iPodVolume & "." & return & "Script will stop."
			set defaultBtn to "OK"
		end if
	end tell

Sorry I didn't reply any sooner. If it is only the checking code, it is safe to remove it. I will look into it tomorrow. My guess is that I have to use the quoted form of the path in the checking code. Something similar to

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	if not (exists folder "Notes" of POSIX file (quoted form of iPodPath)) then
		set dialogButtons to {"OK"}
		set msg to "Failed to find iPod " & iPodVolume & "." & return & "Script will stop."
		set defaultBtn to "OK"
	end if
end tell
Anything else bugging you?

Rod

Last edited by RodCloutier; 2007-08-07 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Update code

requests for now:
1 i use a lot of forbidden symbols in projects and contexts names like :,;/ etc, and my iPod is Windows formatted to use it as a external drive to exchange files with Windows folks. Is it possible to implement some replacement of forbidden characters?
2 my single actions usually are not related to any project (just to speedup the entering process), so they are notsynched to iPod! But most of my Errands and To Buy ARE single actions! - is it possible to
sync all actions without a project? I'm opened to change my workfolw - any other ideas on this are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granin View Post
I use a lot of forbidden symbols in projects and contexts names like :,;/ etc, and my iPod is Windows formatted to use it as a external drive to exchange files with Windows folks. Is it possible to implement some replacement of forbidden characters?
I can certainly do that. Out of curiosity, are those ( :,;/ ) the only symbols you are using?

Quote:
My single actions usually are not related to any project (just to speedup the entering process), so they are not synched to iPod! But most of my Errands and To Buy ARE single actions! - is it possible to
sync all actions without a project? I'm opened to change my workfolw - any other ideas on this are welcome!
I will have a look if I can export actions without projects. You could, in the meantime, create a "Single actions" projects and put all your single actions in that project.

A new version that automatically detects the connected iPod, with pretty icon, is available here OmniFocus iPod exporter

I have also changed the name of the scripts to "ExportToiPod" since it looks a lot nicer in the toolbar.

Rod

Quote:
1 Is it possible to implement some replacement of forbidden characters?
Done

Quote:
2 is it possible to sync all actions without a project?
You now can do so but only if the task has a context. It will show up in the context view with the default project "Single Actions". This can be changed at the top of the file.

Rod
OmniFocus iPod exporter

This OmniFocus iPod Exporter looks fantastic but I can't seem to get it to work. There are no installation or usage instructions so I am really having to guess how to get it to work.

The script seems to run properly with approriate prompts and with no errors but it does not add any note files to my iPod. I tried it without the iPod attached to see if it would throw an error, which it doesn't, so I am assuming there music be something wrong with the script or my setup.

Can you elaborate how to use and troubleshoot this script? Where is it installed? When do you run it? Does the iPod need to be in Disk Mode at the time the script is run?

Thx