The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone syncing and iCal to-do list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Guys, i don't know if I'm missing something here; I tried searching and reading many topics, but I couldn't understand how you guys are managing iPhone integration.

I mean, even OF help files state that iCal syncing is great because you can then sync to devices like the iPhone.

Well .. but syncing with iCal gives me a TO-DO list there .. and the iPhone doesn't get those, or does it ? The only thing it gets synced to the iPhone are proper events, not to-do lists.

How could I proper sync my OF to my iPhone ?

You guys can point me out to some threads if you don't wanna type stuff again.

Thanks,

Felipe.

I'm actually wondering the same thing...

You are correct that iCal to-do lists aren't sync'd to the iPhone yet.

As far as I know, the only sort of iPhone integration for OmniFocus is a script (described in this thread) that converts your OmniFocus actions lists into a set of HTML pages (or maybe it's just one page) that you can then sync to the iPhone. It's a clever hack, but it's mainly just giving you a read-only view of the list.

Hopefully, with the arrival of an official iPhone SDK in February, OmniGroup will consider developing some sort of iPhone application that allows you to manage your tasks directly on the phone, and sync back and forth, etc.

Well, let's just hope they wont sell it separatedly when it becomes avaliable.

This is a total hack way of doing it, but one way that I figured out how to do it is to just take a screen shot (shift apple 4) of your contexts with the different tasks and then e-mail that to yourself. Then you can open that image in the Mail app on your phone.

Does that make sense?

Wow--this is enough to keep me from buying an iPhone! No tasks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
As far as I know, the only sort of iPhone integration for OmniFocus is a script (described in this thread) that converts your OmniFocus actions lists into a set of HTML pages (or maybe it's just one page) that you can then sync to the iPhone. It's a clever hack, but it's mainly just giving you a read-only view of the list.
There's also the web app that we created specifically for iPhone integration and released as open source, the latest version of which you can find in http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6443.

We've also experimented with synchronizing tasks with Mail so you could store them in your IMAP mailboxes and get at them from your phone that way; you'll find that experiment in http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5135.

But at this point, we've stopped working on those approaches and are looking forward to being able to write our own code for the iPhone itself when Apple releases the iPhone SDK in February.

Folks, I really love the Omni Group's craftsmanship of applications. When I saw you were doing a GTD application, and then saw indications you would run on iPhone, I immediately bypassed other options and purchased a family pack.

I love my iPhone and if there is some way for you to do this, please do it!

I would suggest you start with an OmniFocus widget and maybe leverage some Leopard back-to-my-mac stuff. Clearly the widget thing is a key piece of the whole Apple technology strategy and would certainly be one of your more promising development directions.

SyncServices, of course, is also part of the equation.

Also, don't discount the interface technology that is in AppleTV and FrontRow. But I suspect these are all off the WebKit too.

Last edited by awolfe_ii; 2008-01-07 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: elaborating the point