The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Use the same Omnifocus file in 2 computers? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I´m trying to do this:

Mac OSX Server with the omnifocus web application running xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3000

My client OSX oppening the omnifocus file in the Server (on a shared folder).

... but I have a problem. When I open the omnifocus file on the Server, all ok, but when I access with my client OSX, omnifocus said me that the file is locked (server locked it), and the changes that I do in, doesn´t appear on the web server.

Is possible share the same file in 2 computers?

Excuses for my english.

No, this isn't possible right now.

Oh....

Thanks!!

I've been using OmniFocus on two computers by copying the following directories/files back and forth whenever I switched machines using unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/)

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.QuickEntry.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist

This was working great until the update that made you recreate your saved perspectives in the toolbar. Now whenever I put perspectives in the toolbar on one computer and sync, the perspectives don't show up in the toolbar on the other.

Any ideas what is wrong? Was another file added that I need to sync - I don't see any other preferences?

This solution was good enough for me - you can't make changes on both computers and then merge, but as long as I only make changes on one computer at a time between syncs, this works great (I sync a number of directories this way).

Thanks.

This is how I'm synchronizing between three computers now, but I think the perspectives toolbar bug is independent: I just reset my toolbar, quit the app, and when I relaunched they had disappeared. But after resetting the toolbar one more time and relaunching, they seemed to stick.

(I haven't yet tested after sync'ing to my other computers to see what happens there.)

Oh, I should mention that I'm only sync'ing ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. I don't recommend sync'ing the preferences files, because your sync'ing preferences ought to be different on different computers.

After I posted, I did "open ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist"

and noticed a whole bunch of perspective items in the toolbar part of the file (with strange names, not the names of my saved perspectives) part of the file so I deleted those. That's probably why it wanted to make my window so wide - it thought I had a lot of things in my toolbar even though I couldn't see them. We'll see what happens when I sync when I get home.

I'm not currently syncing w/ iCal so shouldn't it be ok to sync the preference file?

I've had a few other strange issues that I've chalked up to file corruption. I had some items not sorting in the correct order so I deleted them and re-entered them and they worked fine after that. At some point I'll probably print my remaining tasks, delete all the data files and start over, but I'll probably wait for the official release before doing that.

Dave

Hey Ken,

It's nice to see that someone who should know is using essentially the same sync method I am…

Since you are, I have a question with a follow-up:

1) Are you using the "Mail Action" feature?

2) If so, how do you make sure that the "right" instance of Mail gets the action and puts it into your "active" version of OF?

I can't think of a reliable way to handle that, so I have been reluctant to try automated integration with Mail.

Thanks again for an absolutely AMAZING app!

I guess I will use Transmit to do this in the mean time.

Essentially, this is the same as using the iDisk except we have to choose to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet14 View Post
1) Are you using the "Mail Action" feature?
Yes.

Quote:
2) If so, how do you make sure that the "right" instance of Mail gets the action and puts it into your "active" version of OF?
The simplest solution is to only let one computer process messages from Mail, and to make sure it only runs Mail when it has the "active" library.

(But I'm actually experimenting with doing something incredibly bleeding edge that I can't yet recommend to anyone else: I'm letting both computers make independent changes to their libraries, and then I'm merging the transactions from both computers' libraries together and letting OmniFocus resolve the conflicts it finds between the diverging transaction chains. We hope to support the synchronization of libraries between computers by doing something along these lines post-1.0, which is why I'm experimenting with that process now.)