The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are too many Contexts a bad thing? (and other Questions) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm making strides with my GTD/OmniFocus system since having the time to pick it up again recently.

I like the idea of contexts, but I do not feel like I am implementing them correctly. I believe the definition of a context in GTD is the place, tool or set of circumstances under which an action needs to take place. But I have so many contexts now that I feel I may be taking it too far.

For example, I have seen many people recommend a "Shopping" or "Errands" context.

Now when I go out shopping it's usually to a very specific shop to get a deal I have found online. The nature of this means that sometimes, deals may be found in various shops.

Does this mean that I should create a separate nested context for each shop from which I purchase?

E.g. Supermarkets (In Britain: Asda, Tescos, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc)

Another area in which I have this problem is University. My University is split into various buildings across a large street. Should I simply have a context for "University" or should I have nested contexts for places such as The Library, Professor's Offices etc?

For my other questions:

Firstly, should I be adding meetings with people under the relevant "People" context, or should I simply be adding the action which leads to that meeting (e.g. phoning someone to setup the meeting) and then add the meeting to a calendar?

What can I do to ensure that I regularly look at reference information?

Thanks in advance!

The short answer is you need as many contexts as you need, but no more. I'd encourage you to try different things and see what works for you.

As far as your meetings/phone/calendar goes, again, do what works for you. I set up contexts for people what I see regularly, and add discussion items. Meeting go in my calendar,and calls go on my calls list.

You shouldn't have any next action reminders in reference, so you should not need to look at it regularly.

Also, your questions seem to be about GTD not OF, so you might have better luck at the davidco.com forums.

I use multiple context for my shopping errands. I have one for grocery market, hardware store, miscellanous, etc. I add items to my shopping list as times come to mind and when I'm there it's easy to check that I have everything I need. You can also select the top most shopping context and all of your shopping items will be shown in a list with headings.
Try having multiple context for your University and see how it works for you.

I would not put scheduled meetings in Omnifocus, I'd put it in a calendar program with reminder messages. I would put in all tasks that are required to get the meeting scheduled.

Omnifocus is quite a powerful program and will take time to really put it in your daily flow of work.

Joe C

I have a project called "shopping". "Errands" is one of the contexts in which shopping tasks can be put.

I have a couple of shopping tasks which I never complete: "Town" and "supermarket", using the notes sections for shopping lists.

Works for me - hope this helps......