The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Non-uniform Shape Resizing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any ideas on how to create a shape which re-sizes in a non-uniform manner? I'm trying to create a shape like the Back button in iOS. Ignoring the rounded corners, it's essentially a left-pointing triangle in union with an adjacent rectangle. If the shape is resized, e.g. by stretching it horizontally, I'd like the triangle to remain unchanged and all the "stretching" to occur in the rectangle.

The only thing I've come up with so far is to create the shapes separately and then group them instead of creating a union. To stretch, you'd have to ungroup them, stretch the rectangle alone, and then regroup. In addition to the inconvenience of the ungroup/regroup operations, I'm running into other problems with the "two grouped shapes" approach. For example, I also need a stroke border around the apparent shape.

Is there any way to designate that deforming a single shape should only affect certain areas within that shape?

TIA, Stephen

Hi Stephen,

It's a bit cumbersome, but if you make the points of a union shape editable, you can then drag individual corner points to simulate a resize as it were. Admittedly, this is somewhat limited to regularly shaped objects...

Cheers, Yang