The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siri + OmniFocus [Siri support added in OmniFocus for iPhone v1.13] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just saw this mentioned as a concept http://goo.gl/viI0I but since Reminders and Calendars are different entities now and OF only syncs with Calendars and only those not on iCloud, as far as I can tell it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Just saw this mentioned as a concept http://goo.gl/viI0I but since Reminders and Calendars are different entities now and OF only syncs with Calendars and only those not on iCloud, as far as I can tell it does not work.
sounds like omnigroup is behind on this compared to the other programs, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that OF is already doing what it can to find some way to facilitate the use of Siri with OF. In the meantime, does anyone have any further thoughts on potential work-arounds that don't require OF for desktops or any complicated scripting solutions? Ie, solutions that work just on the iPhone itself?

Here are the best three options I can think of:

1. Use Reminders as an inbox. Getting something into Reminders with Siri could not be simpler. Assuming your phone is awake (and with no need even to enter your pass code) you just hold it to your ear like you were making a call and talk. For example, I've created a Reminders list called "Do," and all I have to say is "Add X to do" and then tap to confirm or confirm by voice and X will be added to the list. You can also say "Note X" and a new note will be created with X as the text. Unfortunately, the only way I know to get those items into OF is to later transfer than manually.

2. Use OFs auto-email service. You use Siri to send an email with a task to the OF address, and OF automatically sends you back an email with a link that you click to automatically add the task to OF. This seems to work ok, but it requires you to remember to go back into your emails to click the link. And if you have an email footer to your message, the footer gets stuck into the item notes, which can be a pain.

3. Use Siri to dictate your task. You can go into OF just like you were going to add a task by hand, but when the keyboard appears you can hold the phone to your ear and dictate the task and then tap save. This is faster for me than typing, but requires you to get into OF so it isn't really hands free.

I think each of these is an improvement over having to type things in, but they all have some level of friction attached to them. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I suspect that there may be business considerations here -- who would buy the flagship OF Mac if most of the same functionality was available through a web interface? Nothing wrong with that sort of thinking, as businesses have the right to earn money as best they can, and OF makes a good product. But eventually the market will move on, as it seems clear that web-based apps are the direction of the future.
I suspect, actually I'm sure, there are ways to add the web interface for paying users only. I'd suggest adding it to the Mac version, or buying in if you are a phone only user. This would sell more iPhone OF apps as PCs could see their data without picking up the phone.

But then they might just be looking to put the data on iCloud, and maybe iCloud will allow users to see (and edit) data.

OmniFocus for iPhone has just gone live with Siri reminders!

We'll have the usual "v1.13 has been approved" post up soon, but yep; it's live. More info available on our blog for those interested, including videos showing how the feature functions. Enjoy, everyone!

Weird. As far as I can tell, I have it set up properly, but reminders via Siri keep on going only to the Reminders app and never come into OmniFocus.

having the same problem. can't get the reminders to go to the inbox on the iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latest Omni Blog Entry
A couple of friendly productivity fiends took matters into their own hands and figured out that Siri could send emails to the OmniFocus inbox on their Macs.

We could have said “Yay, Siri and OmniFocus can work together” and gone back to our long-term projects. Instead, a couple engineers got to talking “You know, if we… and then the server… and…” “Wow, I think that would totally work!
Exactly the reason of my posts above....... the previous workaround on this thread was a good start, but something more was needed ----> and I am glad that Omni listened.

Thanks Omni !!

Last edited by cellmatrix; 2011-11-19 at 10:08 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.w View Post
Weird. As far as I can tell, I have it set up properly, but reminders via Siri keep on going only to the Reminders app and never come into OmniFocus.
Siri puts things into Reminders; you'll have to sync your Reminders with iCloud and launch OmniFocus so it can capture them from iCloud. (We don't have access to the local Reminders database on the device.)