The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$20 for OF app in iPhone apps store Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan_bagchee@urmc.roches View Post
I was testing this software for over 2000 Mac users (with many of them using iPhones). Guess who we will approach for an enterprise license? At that scale, I'm paying half with Things compared to "they need bread on the table" Omni developers. Honestly, I'm disappointed because Omni has always been fair on pricing.
If I recall correctly, OmniGroup is willing to negotiate prices for large volume use (of desktop apps, that is)*... yup, there it is on their store website:

Education pricing, bundles & volume licensing.

Qualifying students, faculty, and staff should use this version of our store.

Quantity discounts are automatic - you can build your own bundle. For each license beyond the first, you get 5% off the price of your order. The discount works for any combination of products, up to 30% off!

Contact sales@omnigroup.com if you'd like a license quote for large volumes or have a licensing need not covered by this online store.

Being from an educational establishment as well, you would possibly be in line for even more discount.

* Edit: the set-up of the Apple Application store on iTunes evidently prevents them from doing so for the iPhone app at this time.

$20 is way too expensive. At that price they should have never even made the software to begin with. How about you get rid of the tech support, the forum interaction, and cut back on time spent developing, and sell omnifocus (for both mac and iphone) for $10 with lifetime upgrades of not just software, but hardware (like an iphone). Why should I have to pay for a new iphone just to use a program I already paid $10 for on my mac?

I'm not going to take sides here, but I would like to thank Anjan for alerting me to the fact that there are other GTD programs out there for Mac besides OF. I have assumed OF was the only one. If anyone knows of other GTD apps for Mac, I'd love to know what they are. I might still go with OF, but I like having a choice.

[edit: I am starting a new topic with the question of all of the Mac GTD programs so that I don't hijack this topic]

Last edited by Jensen; 2008-07-10 at 03:40 PM..

At AUD$23.99 I don't have a problem with the pricing structure; I've spent a lot more than that on ginger beer this week. Once the new iPod Touch comes out, I will be buying that and OF.

I'll obviously be paying the $20, but the OmniFocus betas I used initially included a ruby-based webserver for viewing OmniFocus tasks on an iPhone. Additionally, The OmniFocus site has always listed iPhone access as an option as soon as Apple supports its distribution. I believe it is in the best interests of a company such as OmniGroup, which relies on a relatively small platform of users for the bulk of its sales, to have used better judgement here and offered a compromise.

I understand that the App Store does not verify licenses with Omni, so why can't Omni offer a $10 coupon towards the purchase of future Omni products for existing OF users with proof of iPhone app purchase? Surely someone at Omni has considered this.

I just downloaded and installed the latest build a minute ago, and was able to use the webserver to view a few contexts and add an action from my web browser. There's a thread on the forum on how to make it run these days: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6443

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-07-10 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: add URL to referenced post

I'm happy with the pricing. I think the Mac app is a little high, but the iPhone app is at a good spot. I have not had a lot of time with the iPhone app yet, but it looks very well thought-out and put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Daniel View Post
$20 is way too expensive. At that price they should have never even made the software to begin with. How about you get rid of the tech support, the forum interaction, and cut back on time spent developing, and sell omnifocus (for both mac and iphone) for $10 with lifetime upgrades of not just software, but hardware (like an iphone). Why should I have to pay for a new iphone just to use a program I already paid $10 for on my mac?
Wow.

I realize some of you are frustrated with those of us who believe the app is overpriced, but keep in mind that $20 for an app isn't a nominal fee for all of us. Just like in any other financial discussion, emotions tend to run high (especially in light of the official announcement), but there isn't a need to demean the fiscal situation of others.

It also seems a bit contradictory to endorse Omni leveraging market forces to determine pricing structures, then decrying the market's response to it. Believe it or not, complaining/commenting is the prerogative of the potential customer. While Omni has not broken any promises, there are arguments to be made that are fair to bring up (which I'll leave to other posts). I don't think its appropriate to tell people they have no right to complain, or that by doing so they are somehow being cheap.

I applaud Omni's patience in dealing with my and others' grumbling (even if you are privately cursing us :D). But I am disappointed at the response of some of the others on these boards. I encourage those of you supporting Omni's decision to make your opinion known, but I don't like being told that my opinion is somehow invalid or superficial.

I feel redundant in saying this, but whatever... is any pejorative discussion of OF (iphone and/or desktop) price so different than saying "that 6-series BMW is unaffordable to me, so BMW should lower their price?" If I want that bimmer, I'll work & save for it.

From my recollection (off the top of my head at the moment), Omni Group put a substantial amount of time and effort into OmniFocus from the beginning. They obviously researched GTD implementation in software, designed functionally appropriate interfaces, enlisted Ethan S. (& hired him) and Merlin Mann, and seriously considered random [& subjective, including my own] feedback from perhaps many readers of this forum. I doubt it's arguable they failed to deliver a remarkable application as a result (version 1.0 at that!).

Personally, the results of their efforts and their impact to my own workflows are priceless. I'm very excited about the "iphone edition" of the OF application, and I'm happy to be able to support the efforts of this organization.