The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New OmniFocus 2 for iOS7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It's bloody bullshit is what it is. Sorry but I am offended right now that I have spent $40 equivalent, plus $60 equivalent, plus $120 equivalent when it could have been $30, $45 and $90 or whatever discount you could have offered. I have paid a huge (for me) sum of money to OmniGroup over the years, helped them with their beta-testing, proselytised their apps and the company at every opportunity and you are trying to tell me that I would have been offended if you had offered me a time-limited discount? WTF, that is completely insane and frankly insulting.
Holy jesus... are you doing those things because your a patron saint or because omnifocus is a life saver. You (I, we, us) benefit from it every single day. Tremendously.

How many minutes have you saved this month alone thanks to a piece of software? In fact, it's not thanks to the app, it is thanks to the deep amount of thought and effort that has clearly gone into it.

Quote:
And for everyone saying I don't have to upgrade. That is a lie. I may not need to upgrade right now, but I have to upgrade at some point - I absolutely depend on these apps for my work.
If you step back from this comment, it is all the more reason that whatever price point they've set, is in fact a perfectly reasonable and fair price point.

Also, in case you havent read this, and are still complaining....

http://www.fastcolabs.com/3017187/op...-pricing-rules

Hm, I'm paying 27$ for real time traffic integration with my navigation app. Per year. In-app premium.

When I look at other apps, maybe the OmniGroup should consider another model:

- OmniFocus for iPhone for free ($2,99)
- basic version with free projects

in-app premium options:
- $9,99 OmniSync-Server integration per year
- $2,99 for contexts
- $2,99 location based contexts
- $2,99 Siri integration
- $1,99 calendar integration

Just joking here. I'll take the 'OmniOption' everytime instead and pay $19,99 each 2- or 3- or 5-year interval and benefit from all the features they supply with the app and with their free updates for years.

I can understand the feelings of some users, who have very recently purchased v1. I would also not be happy about it, but being an OmniGroup customer (using Focus, Graffle, Outliner) for some years, I know, that it will pay back in time and this rather sooner than later. At least for me it has. Not only so with OmniFocus almost instantly and multiple times over the years: I was thinking about purchasing OmniOutliner3 for Mac and then Ken came around and said, everyone buying OO3 now will get a free update to v4. This was May 2011 and instantly I bought my license then. When in some years to come I will have to pay for OmniOutliner5 (2016?, 2017?), man, I'll surely feel totally ripped-off.

I think it's also that bad there is no update price, but it can't do anything OmniGroup.
I have also been wondering whether cheaper offering the apps for some time, especially since I bought OmniFocus for the iPad and iPhone.

Somewhat nicer, I think the new design but the colorful font colors bother me, they would have to let her.

I still have not bought OmniFocus 2 and will wait until the iPad version out and is all in German.

Greeting Jörg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
You know that we do offer substantial upgrade discounts on our own store, right?

You can restore OmniFocus 1 from your Purchased Apps list in the App Store.

We're not selling version 1 anymore, but we're certainly still supporting it. In fact, we're working on some iOS 7 compatibility fixes for version 1 right now which we plan to submit to the App Store once they're ready.

It's not our intent to force people into upgrading to version 2 because version 1 stopped working for them; it's our job to make version 2 better and better until everyone using version 1 feels it's worth upgrading.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, and thanks for clarifying, that doesn't seem as bad as I'd believed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
And for people saying that OmniFocus isn't worth the $20 to me. Of course it is, but I have already paid that. That is the whole point. I have already paid $20. I am not getting an entirely new app with version 2, I am getting a point upgrade to the one I already have. It doesn't have twice the features. It doesn't have twice the functionality. It didn't have to be twice the cost to me and everyone else who already owns it.
And when you buy a new car are you getting twice the car vs. the one you have, or is it in essence a point upgrade? There are new features, a new design, but for the most part it serves the same purpose as your current car, getting you from point A to point B.

The example doesn't quite work because you can sell your current car or trade it in which isn't true in the software space. I personally feel that The Omni Group has considered that in their pricing however and that $20 is a very reasonable fee for the upgrade. Yes it's the same price I originally paid, but the original release still works on IOS7. I'm not being held hostage to get this release. Rather, I can make a reasoned decision as to if it benefits me. If not, I can stay with OF1.

I already purchased OF2 to thank and encourage OG keep improving the app. However, I think OG did not listen to customer carefully this time. Just count how many customers asked for a UI change, and compare with how many customer asked for new functions. You mentioned you have a list requested features. Where does UI enhancement position on the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I'm sorry I didn't explain that comment better on twitter! I assume you're referring to this tweet of mine:

There's an important distinction between your paraphrase and what I originally said: I said that a sale would discount for the wrong "audience", not "customer". We're always happy to provide discounts for our customers! But a time-based sale would reach a whole different audience than our customers, which would be disrespectful of the investment our customers have made in our products.

With a time-based sale, there's no doubt that some of the purchases would certainly come from our loyal customers—which would be great! But we wouldn't reach most of our customers in time, since we don't have a good communication channel in place for reaching them.

Meanwhile, we would pull in a lot (and I mean a lot!) of new customers who didn't think our app was worth buying at $20—but who are happy to buy in at $10. We're suddenly selling our app to a whole different audience of more casual customers, all of whom got a much better deal than the serious customers who invested at $20.

Now we've done two unfair things to our $20 customers: a bunch of them missed the sale, so they're disappointed about that. And a bunch of them are kicking themselves for ever investing $20 in our app since a whole bunch of new people are getting it now for just $10.

But it doesn't end there: we've also now diluted our loyal customers' level of support because our support team's is now supporting a whole bunch of new, more casual customers who invested less money. This is a double-whammy: people who invest less money are actually more likely to need support because they're less likely to invest time learning our app—and because they've invested less money, we have fewer support resources available to spend supporting them.

In the end, time-based sales simply reward people who find out about the sale in time. If we knew we had a communication channel that would reach the bulk of our customers in time for them to take advantage of the sale, this might be more practical. Of if we had some way to block out people who weren't our existing customers during the sale period, that would also help dramatically. But without those options, I'm afraid the sale would reach some of the right audience—like those reading this message—but a lot of the wrong audience.

Again, I'm sorry that my brief note on Twitter wasn't more clear about why we think time-based sales are a bad idea. I hope this explanation helps clear that up!

Lots of folks have been complaining that the user interface in OF1 for the Mac and iPhone needed work. This is a subtle change in the workflow. This is just the first of what will be many revisions that will be adding to the foundation of what OF2 2.0.1 is right now.

So OG did listen to the customers. They oversaw a UI change. Functionality will be added in over time. OF1 for iPhone has had many updates and changes over the past few years. It's not like this is all we're gonna get. More additions will be added including a major data structure change in the future.

Relax... It ain't the end of OF2 for iPhone development. It's just the beginning.

I understand new features will come, however I prefer OG can put adding function features at a higher priority especially in the current pace of development. Will customer be more happy when they see project template, flag support, task duration in OF2 release? I am not sure about other users, but at least they are on my top wish list. Btw, if there is a Web interface as many have asked, I don't mind paying double of the current price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Lots of folks have been complaining that the user interface in OF1 for the Mac and iPhone needed work. This is a subtle change in the workflow. This is just the first of what will be many revisions that will be adding to the foundation of what OF2 2.0.1 is right now.

So OG did listen to the customers. They oversaw a UI change. Functionality will be added in over time. OF1 for iPhone has had many updates and changes over the past few years. It's not like this is all we're gonna get. More additions will be added including a major data structure change in the future.

Relax... It ain't the end of OF2 for iPhone development. It's just the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyjeremy View Post
Hi Everyone.
1. When editing a note, within an action within a project, I am finding it almost impossible to get the curser to go to where I want it to. Imagine you have a listing like below:

John -
Steve -
Caroline -
Bill -
Chris -

If (after the fact) I want to add information after each hyphen, it is almost impossible (not entirely) but very difficult to the get the curser to go to the end of each line.

I've been using the OF 1 on my iPhone for years, and had no problem until the current release. I pulled up the older OF to compare, and have zero problems with the curser.
J
I'd like to second that one. I didn't need the hyphens to make it happen it just sometimes refuses to put the insertion point where I want at the end of a line.

And those flagged/due circles could perhaps be a tad thinner ...

Love the rest though. Thanks Omni.