The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a "Next Action" view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
On the Settings screen, you can set Contexts to show only next actions. They're still grouped by context, but each context will tell you how many next actions it contains.

Does that help?
Yes, that helps, but a smart group showing all next actions, from all contexts, would still be a very useful feature. More useful, to me at least, than the "Flagged" smart group. I sure hope something like an "All Next Actions" group makes it into the next update.

I absolutely agree that some sort of "All Next Actions" group would be very useful.

Or an alternative could be to simply add a "global" context at the top of the contexts list called "All Contexts". Tapping this would display all items filtered per Settings.

I bit the bullet and purchased the desktop version, and now have a greater peace of mind. Both back up to my WebDav server, and I can better organize things on the desktop. I am finding OmniFocus to be so amazingly interesting, useful, and easy to use, and if it could just be polished just a bit, it could really stand out as a top application for the iPhone.

Let me add my voice to the people who really would like an Actions smart group on the home screen.

As an iPod touch user that doesn't live in an area where there are WiFi spots from which to determine my location, the whole location awareness thing for me is completely irrelevant. All I really want is the ability to see all my next actions in one view. What would be good is have the context for each of those actions below it in a small font like there is with the project in other smart groups.

Another vote here.

Jennifer

After using the desktop version first, I expected to see a Next Action "Perspective" on launch.

For awhile I thought I was the only one this view would be useful for! I'm glad to hear that there are more of us out there.

Right now I've been using Things for the iPhone which works for me. Although if Omnifocus were to bring a next action view (and easier syncing! I don't have mobileme and the apache setup is a pain - things uses wifi sync like the itunes "remote" program, which is a snap), I would switch back to it in a heartbeat. Omnifocus has much more depth than Things, but right now, it is less usable to me.

If you want a list of all next actions, tap the crosshair in the toolbar!

This brings up a list of all "nearby" tasks. Just make sure you set the location for all your contexts, and you'll be set :)

sigh... I also want a list of available actions in all contexts, so I tried this tip. I went through all of my contexts and set them to be always available. (It's more important to me to have this complete list than to use "nearby" for it's intended purpose.) This does create the list I want, but... location services must be on to view the list (despite the fact that my actual location is now irrelevant).

I wonder how much power is used to keep location services on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail View Post
If you want a list of all next actions, tap the crosshair in the toolbar!

This brings up a list of all "nearby" tasks. Just make sure you set the location for all your contexts, and you'll be set :)
That assumes that you either have an iPhone, or are near a recognised WiFi spot which has its location logged. If you use an iPod touch and are using your home WiFi network, then it's unlikely your location can be determined.

Looking at the original posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulocastaneda View Post
I bought omnifocus for the iphone, but I can't figure out how to look for all "next actions." I know that there is a "due soon" but not all of my actions have end dates. I don't want to have to go through each context/project to see what's out there, and I don't want to flag all of my items. Am I missing something easy? Thank you for any help.
I have posted a similar query on "omnifocus for applemac" forums (It's for the desktop application), but maybe you can cross reference

It may NOT be relevent? http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10678